2024 June Utah Ammonite trip

rickeclectic

This pic shows pretty much all I found in my June hunt for ammonites for a few days south of Wellington Utah. Just an impression and a few pieces of some small ones. Got some info on likely places from fossil forum folks but honestly did not find hardly anything. Bit of a downer. These were from some small (fist sized) concretions. The concretions were pretty hard rock and when I banged them open (did some of that at home  in Texas later) they were full of small shell type fossils, but almost nothing that looked like ammonites. Seems like a numbers game and luck of the draw in finding a spot that has not been picked over. Oh well.

Ammonite pieces and impression Carbon County UT.jpg

I've found that most successful fossil hunters end up playing the long game, and with more trips, more success.

It takes time to find the good stuff, usually. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sorry about the bad luck.  We have all been there and done that.  I’ve had more busts than successes in the last few years.  One trip, a previously great ammonite site was completely buried by a river bank stabilization project.  The next year, I tried to revisit a site in Northern California.  After a long flight and a four hour drive, the site had been posted and the land manager was completely unmovable.  I could see the outcrop but had to turn around and go back.  You just have to keep trying, as Fossildude said.  It’s always good to have a local guide who knows the area, but not everyone is willing to share their honey hole.

Don

Finishing digging through my June Utah trip I found one more small ammonite impression and piece. Here tis.

Ammonite 72 Carbon County UT s.jpg

• Enjoyed 1