Hell Creek Dino Part

austinh

I got this bone fragment off the forum auction- btw there is another auction going on right now! its a great way to explore fossils from formations outside your area! Go check it out, it supports this forum!

Back to my question- the fossil is from the hell creek formation and was listed on the auction as a possible vertebrae, it wasn't fully prepped when I got it and I have spent some time cleaning it up.

My questions are:

1.) is it possible to determine what part of the skeleton it is from? Vertebrae or not? I am not seeing the vertebrae connection in it, but dino bones are so much larger than anything I am used to. If it is a partial vertebrae is it possible to point out what part of the vertebrae it is from?

2.) is it possible to determine what dinosaur it came from? Group of dinosaurs if not a specific species 

Curious to learn and any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

IMG_7233.jpg

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7235.jpg

IMG_7236.jpg

IMG_7237.jpg

IMG_7238.jpg

IMG_7239.jpg

IMG_7240.jpg

IMG_7241.jpg

It may be.  County may help if you have it.

All I can really offer is not theropod. Does not have the "honeycomb" structure I'd expect to see in my opinion.

*Frank*

1 hour ago, FB003 said:

The other hell creek bone was listed as Jordan MT, the location of this one was not given. Could very well be from the same location, but then also not. 

13 hours ago, FB003 said:

All I can really offer is not theropod. Does not have the "honeycomb" structure I'd expect to see in my opinion.

Can you explain what “honeycomb” structure is and how to identify it? Is it the cancellous internal spongy structure? Are the pores supposed to be honeycomb (hexagonal) in a theropod bone?

@patelinho7 Some examples.  A more in depth search of the forum using keywords will likely provide you more but this is all I have the time to track down at the moment.  I can't speak to the technical side of it but visually I don't see it. 2nd link has better pictures.

• Thank You 1

*Frank*

Hi,

I am no dino expert, but I think what is meant by honeycomb structure is spongiosa (the porous structure inside the bone) which has bigger/more pores in theropods. They are not supposed to be hexagonal, although adjoining "bubbles" may be.

Best regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley