Are these shells or fossils?

LeoTheNut

Hello, I'm new to fossil hunting and I found these in a dried up creek bed off of Lake Nagodoches, Texas USA. I can't tell if these are just regular shells or fossils, can someone help me out.

If they are fossils, any advice on how to preserve them/clean them? They are very fragile. I do have some bottles of peleobond. Thank you!

17191148829947936675548193807088.jpg

17191149005957573348615249169277.jpg

17191149241111550344701749722721.jpg

They are fossils, Eocene aged and from the Weches Formation based on where you found them. Preservation is going to depend on what you want to do with them. I'd personally separate the most intact shells using picks/needles/pins. I've had some limited success cleaning up Weches fossils with pins and/or a toothbrush for more structurally sound specimens. A lot of specimens are in line for air abrasion though.

• I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

They are fossils, Eocene aged and from the Weches Formation based on where you found them. Preservation is going to depend on what you want to do with them. I'd personally separate the most intact shells using picks/needles/pins. I've had some limited success cleaning up Weches fossils with pins and/or a toothbrush for more structurally sound specimens. A lot of specimens are in line for air abrasion though.

Thank you so much! I'll try my best to clean and preserve them, thank you!