Erosion

• New Members
Posted (edited)

Hello, I'm wondering if this large bit I found is part of a tooth? My initial assumption when I found it was that it was, but it's so big I'm having second thoughts. I spotted it due to the shiny coating, much like other albertosaurus teeth I have found in this formation. I've included an Albertosaurus tooth found a few meters away for comparison. Unfortunately the top and bottom are damaged and I couldn't identify any serrations. 

This was found in Horseshoe Canyon Formation exposure in central Alberta. Generally I find Albertosaurus teeth in this area. I know Tyrannosaurus Rex teeth have been located in the Scollard Formation, but I don't believe there are any exposures where I was hunting. 

Thanks folks!

20240623_171515.jpg

20240623_170433.jpg

20240623_170429.jpg

20240623_170415.jpg

20240623_170442.jpg

20240623_170504.jpg

20240623_170356.jpg

20240623_172002.jpg

Edited by Erosion
Added more details, photos.

Have you trued cleaning it a bit? The dirt is making it difficult to see any detail.

• I Agree 1

• New Members
37 minutes ago, jikohr said:

Have you trued cleaning it a bit? The dirt is making it difficult to see any detail.

I did give it a light brush with water. Unfortunately the debris you see is rock solid. I could likely chip some away but I worry about damaging the bit further. 

I think that it may be, but that with this little left it may not be possible to get a definitive  id.  If you read the section on id of dino teeth and claws  the number of serrations is one key feature.  

I don't see anything presented that supports it being a tyrannosaur tooth, or a tooth of any kind. That "shine" you mention I've seen before in mollusk shell casts; which is consistent with the biconvex shape and stone interior.

“The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible.” - A. Einstein

image.png.b91ce67f2541747809ca9464ef3e0fa6.pngimage.png.91f16f76669e71e2b39cff25bd672bde.pngimage.png.d9d37e4f54d24fd75a9c495d6f024bb8.png

• New Members
6 minutes ago, ThePhysicist said:

I don't see anything presented that supports it being a tyrannosaur tooth, or a tooth of any kind. That "shine" you mention I've seen before in mollusk shell casts; which is consistent with the biconvex shape and stone interior.

Interesting, I didn't think of that possibility. I actually have found a few gastropod fossils in this area. 

Hopefully I can get the gastropods identified and maybe that will give some insight into what else existed alongside them. 

20 hours ago, Erosion said:

Hopefully I can get the gastropods identified and maybe that will give some insight into what else existed alongside them. 

Yes, microfossils are an excellent window into the ecosystem. It's unfortunate for micro-hunting that in Alberta you'll have to find them all in the field on the surface, rather than digging up matrix to process later.

Edited by ThePhysicist

“The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible.” - A. Einstein

image.png.b91ce67f2541747809ca9464ef3e0fa6.pngimage.png.91f16f76669e71e2b39cff25bd672bde.pngimage.png.d9d37e4f54d24fd75a9c495d6f024bb8.png

Could it be a crab carapace? No diagnostic bumpiness though… 

I also thought of a very worn Baculites or other straight-shelled ammonoid but I doubt that’s possible from that formation, right?

Edited by patelinho7

The bumpiness here eliminates either rex tooth or baculites I believe. I could see it being a crab piece though…

IMG_1140.jpeg

Edited by Randyw
Forgot picture
  • I found this Informative 1

• New Members
6 hours ago, val horn said:

the idea of a shell is testable, a calcium carbonate shell will fuzz in dilute HCl but a tooth will not.

I will get a dilute sample of HCL and test this. Thank you!