My friend found a mammal molar at Ramanessin Brook yesterday, can anyone help to ID? Any chance it could be Pleistocene?

TRexEliot

• TRexEliot changed the title to My friend found a mammal molar at Ramanessin Brook yesterday, can anyone help to ID? Any chance it could be Pleistocene?
Posted (edited)

I'm doing some poking around now, and I'm strongly leaning beaver, but input would still be greatly appreciated as I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to mammals. I am curious if it could be a pleistocene giant beaver tooth or if modern ones are just bigger than I realized.

Edited by TRexEliot
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, TRexEliot said:

I'm doing some poking around now, and I'm strongly leaning beaver, but input would still be greatly appreciated as I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to mammals. I am curious if it could be a pleistocene giant beaver tooth or if modern ones are just bigger than I realized.

We'd need measurements to be sure, but from your photos it looks about right for modern beaver in my opinion

• I found this Informative 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Is the light brown thingy sand or stuck to the tooth? If it's stuck, it probably is tooth cement which points to modern beaver and not Trogontherium

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ivaldir said:

Is the light brown thingy sand or stuck to the tooth? If it's stuck, it probably is tooth cement which points to modern beaver and not Trogontherium

It's sand. Not sure what you mean by "tooth cement." All that comes up when I googled that phrase is a compound used in dental medicine... Also, Castoroides is the North American giant beaver. Trogontherium lived in Eurasia.

Edited by TRexEliot

I think it must be a castor canadensis molar, which is the extant North American beaver. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, TRexEliot said:

It's sand. Not sure what you mean by "tooth cement." All that comes up when I googled that phrase is a compound used in dental medicine... Also, Castoroides is the North American giant beaver. Trogontherium lived in Eurasia.

Woops, my bad :)

4 hours ago, TRexEliot said:

Not sure what you mean by "tooth cement.'

Cementum is one of three notable hard parts of teeth (enamel, dentine, cementum) in some taxa (not noticeable in beaver fossils, though).  e.g. horse, elephant, and bovid teeth have a prominent cementum component.

For comparison:

Beaver_castorcheekteeth.jpg.a130b3cd3f651062b99be5bf2eedbe73.jpgbeaver_giant.JPG.555167d21213a89acf58bf3c5bdc9b19.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest