• New Members

Hey!

It's been a while since I posted here.

I recently went to check out the Crossman Clay Pit in Sayreville, NJ. The main entrance is gated off, along with having signs saying no entrance, but after some exploration, this seems to just be for the current construction site (which is also fenced off and should be respected)! There are some other areas fenced off for construction (mostly along Main Rd), but if you park at JFK then you can get in without trespassing. I don't know if there's any real rules (about digging and such) but I was able to find a couple good pieces around pre-dug holes left over from years past... and just on the surface!

If anyone can recommend any specific guides (I've read a couple good ones) on polishing particularly small bits of amber, that would be greatly appreciated. I only got 4-5 pieces larger than my thumb, but most are around or smaller than 1/4" and I don't know if it's safe to use regular methods like wood chips in a rock tumbler for them. I'd hate to run them through only to find out I broke the only one with an insect inclusion.

Speaking of, I didn't notice anything clear enough to have any bugs. the bigger pieces are way too cloudy to see into, as are most of the other pieces.

I would recommend visiting and collecting some for yourselves, there's really an abundance. It's mostly smaller stuff, but it's cool regardless. It's only a matter of time before they cordon off the entire area and then we'll never be allowed to gather more. It's a shame something so historic isn't being protected whilst random land around it is.

Evelyn

20240622_215457.jpg

20240622_215450.jpg

• I found this Informative 1