Ladonia Fossil Park, Worth the hunt?

Dylan_bo1

• New Members

Im taking a holiday to Texas soon and am very excited to fossil hunt around the state, Ive heard Ladonia fossil park is a good hotspot for fossil finds and especially Tylosaurus teeth.

Is it worth a trip to fossil hunt? what have you lot found there! thanks :)

I’ve never been but I’ve known several people who have, one friend went recently and said he wants to go back ASAP. So I’m thinking it’s probably pretty fun :) . I also heard that there may be a dam or some infrastructure in the works that will change the water level and affect the amount of exposed fossiliferous strata? I don’t know how credible that rumor is, but just so you know. In any case, any family-friendly public site where you can go and have fun and keep what you find is worth it, even if you don’t find much. 

There is a dam/lake being built, but if you are going this year it won't mess with your plans. Best time to go is right after a rain because the place gets a lot of hunting pressure. The farther you walk, the better you are rewarded. Make sure there is 0 rain in the forecast. Part of the reason the place is so good for fossils is because even light rains are capable of creating deadly flash floods! If you are here in the summer it'll be very hot too.

The fossils are well worth the 1-2 hour drive from Dallas/Ft Worth. Take a look around youtube, fb, and the forum and you can see what sort of things to look out for. You are much more likely to find a mosasaur vert than teeth, but teeth are still a decent possibility (if you are willing to walk some miles and hunt the gravel bars thoroughly).

Within a 2 hour drive from DFW are also Mineral Wells fossil park and Post Oak Creek. Check those out too if you haven't already (North Sulphur is more exciting though in my opinion)!

• I found this Informative 3