Sites Still Open?

CURT

Has anyone ever heard of a book called Fossil Collecting in the Mid Atlantic States? If so, are the sites mentioned within still accessible?

A friend of mine has that book. According to him about half of the sites are still accessible. Other than that I don't have any more info as to which ones are still open.

Most of the sites offering shark teeth are accessible, though some, even when he described them (in 1994?), were accessible only by going through private property. The specific sites he describes on the Chesapeake (Locality 44 = Matoaka, Calvert Cliffs, and Flag Ponds) are pretty overworked, and the last 2 aren't open during the winter months. I've hunted those and others he describes with different results. Elsewhere on this forum, someone described searching some of the invertebrate sites (the West Virginia ones, I think) and it sounded like they might be worth doing. The book is a place to start and, frankly, I think worth getting for the drawings alone.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Brownie's Beach (aka Chesapeake Beach) features occasional large megs and makos, plus assorted marine mammal verts. Once in a great while someone will find a horse, camel, tapir part.

I'd recommend a trip to Purse State Park on the Potomac as an excellent site for Paleocene/Eocene shark's teeth (Otodus obliquus, Paleocarcharodon orientalis, striataloma sp.) crocodile teeth, turtle parts, indian pottery, arrowheads, plus eagle and osprey nesting sites. A great place for solitude. The beach stretches almost a mile. Bring some waders. I've found a three inch Otodus and a complete upper eagle ray plate, plus numerous inch plus croc teeth.

I have that book and Ive checked out some of those sites (but not the ones that are too far away from me). Which area are you interested in?

Mike