Fossil export from Greece.

David Mac

• New Members

I found a fossilized mastodon (or mammoth) molar on a roadside in Greece (next to a recycling bin. It was in 3 pieces. I am here on vacation and am asking about the legality of taking it back to Canada. Thanks.

Greece makes no distinction between fossils and archaeological finds. Export is prohibited and can cause massive difficulties.

• I found this Informative 4

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

• New Members

Anyone have any idea what museum might be appropriate to donate my find to? Without any context (where found, stratigraphy, bedding matrix, etc) it may not be that useful but perhaps better than returning to the rubbish heap where found. BTW, I have determined it to be a mammoth molar with fragments of embedded limestone (?) in the root cavities and some of the enamel ridges have what appears to be coral or stalactite material deposits. Also some organic material and spider webbing (ie, not washed).

29 minutes ago, David Mac said:

I have determined it to be a mammoth molar with fragments of embedded limestone (?) in the root cavities and some of the enamel ridges have what appears to be coral or stalactite material deposits.

Could be a cave find then? Was it dumped there, where you found it (e.g. from an old collection) or is it pure chance that it was found near the recycle bin?

Franz Bernhard

• New Members

I am pretty sure it was dumped there. Short mowed grass in between a recycling bin (overflowing) and a garbage bin. 10 feet from the road edge. Largest 3 rocks (it was in 3 pieces) in a 15 m radius. Very visible. I was thinking it wasn't old enough to be incorporated in limestone (although the tooth sockets appear to full of limestone) but it is kind of covered in marl. A cave find might explain it. We hiked the Vikos Gorge and saw what looked like deposits of limestone gravel all cemented together. About 50% voids and everything else tightly cemented together. I can imagine mineral rich water percolating through a porous substrate and cementing things together.

• Thank You 1