Sonic cleaning solutions

Odd Rocks

Does anyone have a sonic machine cleaning solution that works best with fossils?  For general cleaning, I found mixtures of vinegar and water, vinegar with soap, soap only, and over-the-counter “sonic cleaning solutions.

I just ran my first batch in a 3L machine with only a tablespoon of Simple Green.  Meh.  Turned the water nice and brown but not a magic eraser by any stretch.

is it worth the time to run pieces through multiple times?

I usually just use water. And no, ultrasonic cleaners are not magic erasers. They generally work best on soft shales. Even then, they will generally not remove every bit of matrix.

I watched a couple of YouTube vids on cleaning agates in a sonic cleaner using a 1:1 solution of water and vinegar.  Any reason not to try that?

On 6/29/2024 at 12:55 AM, connorp said:

Vinegar will degrade many fossils.

As could vibrations…

• I Agree 1

Sonic cleaner is my new favorite prep tool. If it can fit in my cleaner it goes in my cleaner. I’ve personally only used water and a little dish soap but curious to what others use.

On 6/30/2024 at 9:23 PM, NickG said:

As could vibrations…

Every prep tool has its use cases, and cases where it shouldn't be used. There are fossils that an ultrasonic cleaner would destroy, and others that it will clean up very nicely. It just requires trial and error to learn the proper use cases.

• I Agree 1

On 7/4/2024 at 6:53 AM, Rob_P said:

Sonic cleaner is my new favorite prep tool. If it can fit in my cleaner it goes in my cleaner. I’ve personally only used water and a little dish soap but curious to what others use.

What kind of fossils do you prep with that, and what matrix are they in?  Curious as I've never tried a sonic cleaner.

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Posted (edited)

In my ultrasonic tank I clean shells released from their sediment that I sorted. I only use water because they are usually not dirty, it’s just to peel off the dust on them, and then I gently rinse in a small colander.

You should know that a fossil, whatever it is, will explode in an ultrasonic tank if it has cracks. Before you go through your fossils, check them out.

Otherwise I also clean microminerals with this system, always with the same precautions.

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg