moroccan trilobite ID confirmation

HannahB

hi i bought this enrolled trilobite today, it is listed as Pedinopariops brongniarti but i’ve had experience with this shop mislabelling trilobite species and wanted to double check with the experts on here!

IMG_1934.jpeg

IMG_1935.jpeg

IMG_1936.jpeg

IMG_1937.jpeg

IMG_1938.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Pedinopariops brongniarti is a European species. In Morocco the taxon is Pedinopariops (Hypsipariops) vagabundus. However, according to Van Viersen & Koppka 2021, it is elevated to a generic rank (Hypsipariops vagabundus) and no longer classified with a rank of subgenus. The tubercles on the glabella are not a good match with Hypsipariops vagabundus, and unfortunately, the poor preservation of the eye lenses makes it difficult for any confident ID.  I would label it conservatively: Phacopidae sp. happy0144.gif

McKellar, R.C., Chatterton, B.D.E. 2009
Early and Middle Devonian Phacopidae (Trilobita) of Southern Morocco.
Palaeontographica Canadiana, 28:1-110  PDF LINK

Van Viersen, A.P., Koppka, J. 2021
Type and other Species of Phacopidae (Trilobita) from the Devonian of the Ardenno-Rhenish Mountains.
Mainzer Geowissenschaftliche Mitteilungen, 49:25-66  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 hour ago, piranha said:

Pedinopariops brongniarti is a European species. In Morocco the taxon is Pedinopariops (Hypsipariops) vagabundus. However, according to Van Viersen & Koppka 2021, it is elevated to a generic rank (Hypsipariops vagabundus) and no longer classified with a rank of subgenus. The tubercles on the glabella are not a good match with Hypsipariops vagabundus, and unfortunately, the poor preservation of the eye lenses makes it difficult for any confident ID.  I would label it conservatively: Phacopidae sp. happy0144.gif

McKellar, R.C., Chatterton, B.D.E. 2009
Early and Middle Devonian Phacopidae (Trilobita) of Southern Morocco.
Palaeontographica Canadiana, 28:1-110  PDF LINK

Van Viersen, A.P., Koppka, J. 2021
Type and other Species of Phacopidae (Trilobita) from the Devonian of the Ardenno-Rhenish Mountains.
Mainzer Geowissenschaftliche Mitteilungen, 49:25-66  PDF LINK

thank you very much for your help!