Doctors Park, WI Silurian Finds

suburbanamateur

I just came back from Wisconsin for a school-related activity. I like to visit Doctors Park, Fox Point whenever I have some free time while I’m in the area and the beach was very productive this week. It is a known Silurian outcrop. Mostly tabulate corals, chain corals, and brachiopods(?) plus some weird ones I’m still trying to figure out. 

This week was the first time I found what looked to like full bivalve or brachiopod shells, not just imprints. The local museum guides say you can find both in this area, but I’m not experienced enough to tell the difference. But, they are pretty cute. 

The first is a near-complete one I found. There next two are different angles of half-shells. The last is a coral that does not resemble the usual chain, tabulate, or rugose corals I’ve found before. If anyone can help this noob out, I’d appreciate.

Overall, I’d highly recommend this spot for beginners. The only downside is that a ton of dead fish wash up here periodically and the smell and the flies can become unbearable. But, that also means less people and more fossils ripe for the picking.

IMG_3471.jpeg

IMG_3472.jpeg

IMG_3473.jpeg

IMG_3474.jpeg

IMG_3480.jpeg

IMG_3481.jpeg

IMG_3482.jpeg

IMG_3484.jpeg

IMG_3485.jpeg

IMG_3486.jpeg

IMG_3490.jpeg

IMG_3489.jpeg