Carmel valley shell id

Coinwalla

Whatever it is, even if it is a fossil, since due to a lack of distinguishing characteristics, it's going to be difficult to identify even the family, let alone the species in my opinion. You'd need to research the local fossil fauna and make comparisons.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi,

6 hours ago, Coinwalla said:

These were found at caramel valley in Monterey at ucmp36217

Country ? State ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

4 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Country ? State ?

Coco

I think the OP meant to type Carmel Valley in California but didn't check the spelling. Sounds rather tasty doesn't it?

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Could be a Panopea...  they are fairly good sized and have that rectangular shape on one end of the shell. I dont remember having seen any in the Monterey formation up in Monterey near the Navy postgrad school when I collected in that area back in the 60's but i've seen them mentioned in the literature. In amongst the porcellanites which typically had lots of very cool fracture and staining patterns (mimicking fossil clams) we did actual find molds/casts of various other bivalves in the very fine grained diatomaceous shales. Crabs and some other odds and ends as well. Your example looks to be from the softer shaley sediments and when the fossils have no color and are really flat without many raised features they just dont stand out especially in photos and then you throw staining across them they are almost camouflaged..

I've found Panopeas here in Florida at various Pliocene/Pleistocene sites. Present day geoduck clams are found now on the westcoast of the US. Could certainly be one of the other bivalve clams and maybe an invert person or person who has messed with the Monterey and other formations out there can offer more without seeing the complete specimen. 

Good eyes! 

Continued hunting success! 

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Definitely a bivalve of some sort - I see growth lines for sure. 

Cropped, rotated, and contrasted:

IMG_1610.jpeg.8fc1059593eb7be33e0c5fe57a5722d4.jpeg

Chris's suggestion is not a bad guess, imo.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 6/30/2024 at 8:32 PM, Coinwalla said:

These were found at caramel valley in Monterey at ucmp36217 they might be clam fossils found there but not sure about species

UCMP 36217 (University of California Museum of Paleontology) site is in the Miocene Monterey Formation in the Carmel Valley near Monterey. 

@Coinwalla

Here is a paper with mention of UCMP 36217 and photos of bivalves.

Kenneth L. Finger, Megan M. Flenniken, Jere H. Lipps; FORAMINIFERA USED IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF MIOCENE POLYCHAETE WORM TUBES, MONTEREY FORMATION, CALIFORNIA, USA. Journal of Foraminiferal Research 2008;; 38 (4): 277–291. doi: https://doi.org/10.2113/gsjfr.38.4.277

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kenneth-Finger/publication/250084185_Foraminifera_used_in_the_construction_of_Miocene_polychaete_worm_tubes_Monterey_formation_California_USA/links/55fc2fa708aeafc8ac437603/Foraminifera-used-in-the-construction-of-Miocene-polychaete-worm-tubes-Monterey-formation-California-USA.pdf?origin=publication_detail&_tp=eyJjb250ZXh0Ijp7ImZpcnN0UGFnZSI6Il9kaXJlY3QiLCJwYWdlIjoicHVibGljYXRpb25Eb3dubG9hZCIsInByZXZpb3VzUGFnZSI6InB1YmxpY2F0aW9uIn19

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/250084185_Foraminifera_used_in_the_construction_of_Miocene_polychaete_worm_tubes_Monterey_formation_California_USA

IMG_1124.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• JohnJ changed the title to Carmel valley shell id