Hi all, 

I am looking at adding a Suchomimus tooth into my fossil tooth collection. I have found this specimen but was wondering if it can be positively identified as Suchomimus and not another theropod of the Erlhaz formation.

The size is 2.42 Inches, and is from the Erlhaz formation of Niger. It also has its serrations present on both Carinae if that helps.

Thank you so much for any assistance. 

Sucho1.webp

Sucho2.webp

Sucho3.webp

Sucho4.webp

• Enjoyed 1

Posted (edited)

Definetly Suchomimus tenerensis and a nice one at that !

The cariane are right positioned, the serrations and formation also match, the enamel pattern too !

Edited by Brevicollis
  • Thank You 1

My account and something about me :   

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

I'm just a young guy who really loves fossils  YOUTH MEMBER2.jpg

@Muffinman217: do you have a pic with light from left or right side?

I cannot see the ripples on the tooth

On 7/3/2024 at 12:32 AM, rocket said:

@Muffinman217: do you have a pic with light from left or right side?

I cannot see the ripples on the tooth

Heres some pics of both sides of the tooth

18B20FA5-D946-4E11-9721-F50A7899B267.jpeg

DA727CAC-800E-4326-834E-1E0FEE9B160B.jpeg

I'd say a basal Spinosaurid as far as I can see. It is in really bad shape, so that does not help.

• Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, JorisVV said:

I'd say a basal Spinosaurid as far as I can see. It is in really bad shape, so that does not help.

Would Suchomimus be the most likely identification given the tooths location in the Erlhaz formation of Niger?

It is the only described spinosaurid from Niger from that locality. So there is a high chance. They do need to have little serrations and ripples. Like this one for example.

20240601_194620.jpg

20240601_194435.jpg

8 minutes ago, JorisVV said:

It is the only described spinosaurid from Niger from that locality. So there is a high chance. They do need to have little serrations and ripples. Like this one for example.

20240601_194620.jpg

20240601_194435.jpg

Wow that is an amazing example! probably a bit out of price range. Do you think its probable that the tooth once had those serrations and ripples but they have been worn off?

2 hours ago, Muffinman217 said:

Wow that is an amazing example! probably a bit out of price range. Do you think its probable that the tooth once had those serrations and ripples but they have been worn off?

The serrations are frequently very worn/not visible. My concern would be the preservation of the tooth, it doesn't look like most teeth that come from the Elhraz Formation. It may be from the Elhraz fm, but the preservation looks far more like teeth from the Kem Kem Beds.