Permian pelycosaur spines

Othniel C. Marsh

The informal grouping of pelycosaurs involves quite a few different species, so yes, it is possible to distinguish many of them based on the vertebrae.  Some are very minor differences, especially of you only have the centra and cant see the neural process.  The centrums of Dimetrodon, Ophiacodon and Edaphasaurus are nearly identical, except for the keel at the bottom. 

• I found this Informative 2

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

What features would one look for in neural spine fragments to distinguish the three aforementioned genera?

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh

That really depends on the body location of the vert.  Caudal verts might be impossible, dorsal would be very obvious as Ddon has hyper-elongate, "barbell shaped" spines, Edaphosaurus as hyper-elongate spines with side protrusions, and Ophiacodon has short spines all the way along the back.  

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

One final question (and probably the one I should have posed in the first place, but I wanted to try and ID them myself): do these look like Dimetrodon and Secodontosaurus neural spines?

dime_spine_adult_1.36363538.JPG

secodontosaurus_spine_1.36342742.JPG

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh

The Dimetrodon spines look correct, but I have no experience with Secodontosaurus so I cant comment on those.