Strange formations on fossil chunk

LeoTheNut

• New Members

20240703_174653.thumb.jpg.560de44834a6e431adc4e834ddde00da.jpgI am unsure whether to post this in preparation or ID so I'm just going to post it here

I recently found chunks of dirt in a creek bed near Lake Nagodoches, Texas, USA containing fossilized shell peices. while I was cleaning off the excess dirt, I came across these very brittle and strange looking "formations" (I'm not quite sure what to call them) on all of the chunks. Can anyone help me figure out if these are just excess stone or dirt or if its some kind of fossil. I attached some examples and a picture of the fossil as a whole. I'm a beginner to fossil preparation so excuse me if this is a dumb request 

20240703_174641.jpg

20240703_174629.jpg

20240703_174612.jpg

Looks like a mineral incrustation.

Does it fill voids in the rock? Or line the surface? Or other?

Does it fizz in vinegar?

Does it dissolve in water? When soaked overnight?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

Vertebrate Fossil of the Month AwardVertebrate Fossil of the Month AwardPaleo Partner AwardMember of the Month

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• New Members
3 hours ago, ynot said:

Looks like a mineral incrustation.

Does it fill voids in the rock? Or line the surface? Or other?

Does it fizz in vinegar?

Does it dissolve in water? When soaked overnight?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I wouldn't say it fills any voids in the rock, but it does line the surface, and it's brittle for the most part. It did not fizz in vinegar but I will try to leave it soaked overnight. The dirt contains a lot of salt looking particles that make the whole chunk look "glittery", I don't know if that adds any value but its an observation. 

Agreed that this appears to be some sort of mineral encrustation. I cannot make out anything in the piece that seems to be fossil-related, but posting images of some of the shells that you have found may be helpful for further identification/opinions. 

• New Members
5 minutes ago, Andúril Flame of the West said:

Agreed that this appears to be some sort of mineral encrustation. I cannot make out anything in the piece that seems to be fossil-related, but posting images of some of the shells that you have found may be helpful for further identification/opinions. 

I had previously posted other peices from the same location and they were identified by a user to be and i qoute "They are fossils, Eocene aged and from the Weches Formation based on where you found them."

I had posted these images below from samples gathered at the same location

17200613562612477056057025222367.jpg

20240622_224723.jpg

20240622_224736.jpg