Sulphur, Indiana (Crawford Co.) Identification?

Bigbadpoodle

Hi all,

I found this in a roadcut in Sulphur, Indiana but I'm not certain as to what I found or identification?  Perhaps a piece of a tooth?  It's partially embedded but I could scrape away more matrix (if I can figure out how).  I'm new to the locality and trying to learn!  Any help would be appreciated.  I took several photos and have included a couple photographs from my microscope, too.  I'm not great at photography but I hope this is sufficient!  Thank you! :) 

Unknown 1.jpg

Unknown 2.jpg

Unknown 3.jpg

Unknown 4.jpg

Unknown 5.jpg

4 minutes ago, Newbie_1971 said:

Looks like crinoid to me.

It could be the poor pictures but it doesn't appear to be a crinoid in person.  It's very vitreous in appearance and my other crinoids don't have the "holes" or tube-like features?  Thank you though!  I'll check out more crinoids!

I think it could be a bryozoan - differently not crinoid.

:Cry:

23 minutes ago, ynot said:

I think it could be a bryozoan - differently not crinoid.

I will definitely consider as I keep searching for answers!  Thank you!  

Definitely not crinoidal. Both the sheen and porous looking holes appear more reminiscent with some sort Chondrichthyes toothplate.

• I Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Yes it is certainly a chondrichthyan tooth plate. My first guess would be Poecilodus.

If you were at the well known roadcut, you were collecting in the Indian Springs Shale Member of the Big Clifty Formation.

Edited by connorp
  • I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Collector9658 said:

Definitely not crinoidal. Both the sheen and porous looking holes appear more reminiscent with some sort Chondrichthyes toothplate.

Thank you!  It really looks like a portion of tooth to me , as well.  

1 hour ago, connorp said:

Yes it is certainly a chondrichthyan tooth plate. My first guess would be Poecilodus.

If you were at the well known roadcut, you were collecting in the Indian Springs Shale Member of the Big Clifty Formation.

Thank you!  I did a quick search.  It looks nearly identical to some Poecilodus online!  You guys are incredible with your knowledge! 

1 hour ago, connorp said:

It was the well known roadcut by the way! 😄

It's an Archimedes bryozoan.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Hi all, here’s a little update.  I was able to remove more of the matrix and it definitely appears to be a portion of tooth…I think 😄

4619F860-3610-4D7B-A1C4-1A1AAA19F8E4.jpeg

7DD78B5E-3264-4CEC-BFC4-EC396FAD534D.jpeg

2761252D-F788-47A6-AEC0-5D789069C3F0.jpeg