Atoothsatooth42

The surprise of the year has happened for me this past Sunday. I FINALLY nailed the elusive Pygmy White or Palaeocarcharodon! I knew immediately what I was looking at as soon as I saw it too. I never expected to ever really find one, so to see it in the first 20 minutes of my hunt was surreal to say the least!

It is in excellent condition too, super sharp serrations, great color, but for what ever reason, it’s missing the corner like I have seen in so many other trip reports online featuring a Pygmy. Regardless, it will become one of my most cherished finds. 

Decent day in the hot humid sun overall. Quite a few Sandy’s, a couple little otodus, a blue piece of sea glass, all great stuff. I’m really trying my best to take more insitu shots, they really are the most appealing of any trip report. Cant wait to get back out there! 

IMG_1015.jpeg

IMG_1016.jpeg

IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1018.jpeg

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg

IMG_1021.jpeg

IMG_1022.jpeg

IMG_1055.jpeg

Edited by Atoothsatooth42
  • Enjoyed 10

Great haul and a fantastic day on the water! Seeing your trip reports makes me want to get out there more often. Alas, if it only weren't such a long drive! 

That Paleocarcharodon is a beauty and it is quite the achievement to find such a coveted tooth. Congratulations! The Otodus are also rather nice. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Nice! I spent a weekend out on the potomac a month or so ago and did well with Otodus & crocodile teeth but could never find the elusive pygmy. I intend to make a return shortly, hopefully luck will find me.

In your last image, what is that multi cusped tooth shown above the pygmy? I have yet to see something like that described out of the Aquia fm, fascinating!

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, Vae70 said:

Nice! I spent a weekend out on the potomac a month or so ago and did well with Otodus & crocodile teeth but could never find the elusive pygmy. I intend to make a return shortly, hopefully luck will find me.

In your last image, what is that multi cusped tooth shown above the pygmy? I have yet to see something like that described out of the Aquia fm, fascinating!

Thanks! I was certainly lucky. This was probably my 10th-12th trip out there this year, so it took a few tries. That is a Paraorthacodus clarkii, there is no common name for it. They aren’t super common either, especially with all of their cusps intact. 

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Atoothsatooth42 said:

Thanks! I was certainly lucky. This was probably my 10th-12th trip out there this year, so it took a few tries. That is a Paraorthacodus clarkii, there is no common name for it. They aren’t super common either, especially with all of their cusps intact. 

Groovy. I absolutely love the look, it'll be something to keep an eye out for on my next visit to the paleocene

• Enjoyed 1