Macraster echinoid grab from unexplored creek section

Shaun-DFW Fossils

On July 2, I had a 1.5 hour break in the afternoon and I had the itch (okay it’s a constant itch) to run down the street to a local Johnson County, Texas creek that I’ve been hunting for the last 18 months. It’s my favorite and most productive creek. I’m convinced all of the Texas fossil hunters are north of interstate 20 or west of Benbrook Lake (half joking).

the area is considered “undivided,” with some Main Street limestone, Fort Worth formation, and duck creek present, depending on exact location. The section of the creek I visited is a little tougher to access due to the bank steepness and narrow shoulder of the crossroad. But I managed it, and I was not disappointed. 
you may notice I hunt the lower eagle ford/upper woodbine occasionally, but in my experience, the heavy rains expose a LOT more more quickly with the “softer” Fort Worth formation exposures. 
I found 2 creek-worn mortoniceras ammonites fairly quickly, one missing the center but the other one looking fairly decent at 7-inches diameter (post-hunt photo attached). I then came across the blue-gray clay and white limestone I wanted. Very few ammonites, though I did grab a couple of smaller “fair” condition mortoniceras ammonites, but it was a macraster marathon, and 95% were pristine with complete shell, very little matrix, and spine nodes all over. I looked down and realized I was growing spine nodes. Wait, no I had a brief chill from excitement. Okay, lying..it was 98 degrees and I was sweating like a pig. But you could imagine..still excited. 
I only found one holaster echinoid, but it’s in good shape. My favorite macraster is the one that looks perfect, but it has each side blown out/crushed partially, leaving the entire shape intact except for what look like two vertical vents. Such a neat preservation of an object impacted by a brief moment of force under water. 
this isn’t a section of the creek I’ll likely visit often (I spend more time above and below this section, where I can find a nice variety of different types of fossils) but I’m glad I was able to upgrade the quality of my echinoid collection. 

IMG_4224.jpeg

IMG_4166.jpeg

IMG_4167.jpeg

IMG_4174.jpeg

IMG_4168.jpeg

IMG_4169.jpeg

IMG_4171.jpeg

IMG_4175.jpeg

IMG_4170.jpeg

IMG_4173.jpeg

• Enjoyed 12

Nice finds !

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Great job Shaun! That orange echi looks out of place. :rolleyes:

• Thank You 1

6 hours ago, automech said:

Great job Shaun! That orange echi looks out of place. 

6 hours ago, automech said:

Great job Shaun! That orange echi looks out of place. :rolleyes:

Thank you! Yes, the geology is quite interesting, with very different soil/clays from layer to layer, but they were only a few feet from one another. I should have taken a picture..next time!

I hope you and all the Texas members are faring well from the hurricane that blasted through. I can only imagine what a bounty of new material that'll be washed out.

• Thank You 1

On 7/10/2024 at 10:42 AM, automech said:

I hope you and all the Texas members are faring well from the hurricane that blasted through. I can only imagine what a bounty of new material that'll be washed out.

Thanks Automech! We barely got some scattered clouds and rain, since the state is so big, but I know closer to Houston it’s a bit of a crisis (and maybe a fossil opportunity). I have been waiting for water levels in local creeks to drop enough to uncover potential washed out fossils I could find after our heavy rains a couple of months ago. It’s been a productive half year thanks to that heavy rain awhile back!

• Enjoyed 1