East Texas Petrified Wood (Montgomery Co)

jeb128

• New Members

Pretty sure this is petrified wood but the interior is odd. There also seems to be either a bug or nail indention that I found interesting. 

20240702_142720.jpg

20240702_142732.jpg

20240702_142748.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

It's petrified wood for sure. The center may have been decayed before it fully mineralized. The hole is a teredo (bivalve) boring. 

• Thank You 1

• JohnJ changed the title to East Texas Petrified Wood (Montgomery Co)

Nice piece of petrified wood.  Like Dale mentioned, it decayed considerably before mineralizing.  I think the hole is a typical example of where a small branch rotted out of a larger limb.

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I am not sure why people think that the wood looks decayed in the center. The center shows lots of fibrous wood texture and looks fully mineralized.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

22 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I think the hole is a typical example of where a small branch rotted out of a larger limb.

The wood grain doesn't look as if it bends around it the way it would a limb.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The wood grain doesn't look as if it bends around it the way it would a limb.

I was trying to see the wood grain too. A better focused and lit photo should show the details of the grain around the hole and the shape of the hole. A clam burrow should have relatively smooth sides. This hole may have ridges.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

9 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I am not sure why people think that the wood looks decayed in the center. The center shows lots of fibrous wood texture and looks fully mineralized.

Comes from felling mature fir trees with red rot in the center, I guess. :) But seriously, it has a slightly more blocked look. The grain is less continuous. 

• New Members
2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Comes from felling mature fir trees with red rot in the center, I guess. :) But seriously, it has a slightly more blocked look. The grain is less continuous. 

petrified wood 1.jpg

petrified wood 2.jpg

• New Members

I appreciate all of the feedback and ideas that it may be- above are more photos with a bit more lighting and focus. 

@JohnJ was probably right about this being where a limb had been. It does however support the idea that it was decayed. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1