Othniel C. Marsh

Posted (edited)

Pictured below is a tooth approximately 1cm in length being sold as that of a Mycterosaurus longiceps, from the Cisuralian of Richard's Spur in Oklahoma, but it looks more similar in form to those of Varanops or Mesenosaurus than Mycterosaurus, at least given what little material on any of the aforementioned species' dentition I can find, so I've opted to ask you, the experts, what you make of it.

Permian Mycterosaurus pelycosaur fossil Richards Spur  large Sabre tooth #2 RARE - Picture 1 of 6

Permian Mycterosaurus pelycosaur fossil Richards Spur  large Sabre tooth #2 RARE - Picture 2 of 6

Thanks in advance for any guidance
Othniel

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh

I have come to the conclusion that the tooth is indeed not that of Mycterosaurus, but the question of whether it is that of Varanops or Mesenosaurus remains. Any guidance in this regard would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps @hadrosauridae, given your expertise regarding vertebrates from the Permian of Oklahoma, might be able to shed some light on the matter.

16 minutes ago, Othniel C. Marsh said:

Perhaps @hadrosauridae, given your expertise regarding vertebrates from the Permian of Oklahoma, might be able to shed some light on the matter.

Sorry, I'm not an expert in Permian, I just have information the areas I have studied regarding species I have found.  I don't know about the species mentioned, and my research info doesnt have anything them either.   

Edited by hadrosauridae

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

might be Maiothisavros dianeae

Does not fit with Mesenosaurus  (these teeth have a kink) and not clear with Varanops

Maiothisavros should be a good candidate

Posted (edited)

Maiothisavros teeth appear to have wrinkles near the apex and lack the serrated carinae of the tooth in the original post. The anterior teeth shown in "Size and shape heterodonty in the early Permian synapsid Mesenosaurus efremovi" appear to be incredibly similar to the original specimen.

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh