Might this be an ammonite fragment ?

Brevicollis

Posted (edited)

Hello, I was searching through my fossil storage in hopes of finding a mosasaur tooth in flint preservation (spoilers alert : I didnt :rolleyes:) and found this interesting piece instead, wich kinda reminded me of an ammonite fragment. But as flint has tricked more than once with all his possible shapes and shades and layering into thinking that I've found a fossil in it, I better should post it here for confirmation or whatever the opposite is called in english (my vocabulary is still learning new words). The grooves appear like if they all start from one middle point that isnt preserved anymore, and appear to be to "perfect" if they would be geological origin. So are my thoughts. Also, I might see something that kinda appears to be the bouyancy chamber steinkern and maybe some of the walls that seperated it into multiple rooms, but maybe my imagination is playing with me :ighappy:

Anyway, @rocket, @Ludwigia, are you guys able to help here and end my whole dream, or be as amazed as me if it really is one !?
I know about ONE ammonite in flint preservation from the german fossilforum, Steinkern, but that was mostly a cavaty left behind by one. But they are possible !

Sice : 6,5 cm the longest, around 3,5 the highest. 
I found it a few years ago on the beach of Marienleuchte on the german island of Fehmarn, on the giaaaaant pebble beach there.

Space in between the grooves : consistantly 5 mm where I've measured on the same hight. 

I know, not many details are preserved, and even if there are any they would be even worse to see as this piece is nearly completly white, but lets hope there are some visible ones !

Here are the lines that I think might be these walls in the chamber (I know they have a name bit I dont know it :blink:)

IMG_1279.thumb.jpeg.7af2df7115efd1fba98ddb9b7cca5645.jpegIMG_1278.thumb.jpeg.ac0a7142b52ffa78fe1feaa4bb79e840.jpeg

And here the possible, very unlikely Steinkern of the main chamber. Saw some that might look similar in different ammonites.IMG_1284.thumb.jpeg.7637d1529de3250421f7ff2e93523287.jpegIMG_1283.thumb.jpeg.3486979aa6eedd4fc200414747e410e5.jpeg

Anyway, have fun analyzing this ! 
Maybe I have luck, I found a four leaved clover leave today :Luck:

IMG_1273.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg

IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg

IMG_1282.jpeg

Edited by Brevicollis

My account and something about me :

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

Im just a guy who really loves fossils

very unusual fossil..., I do not think it is an ammonit and not banded chert. Never seen one like this at the coast, and, I have seen really a lot from there...

No clear idea for the moment, might be another TFF member has...

I agree with rocket. It doesn't appear to me to be an ammonite, since the grooves don't show the type of symmetry one would expect to see if it was one. I also couldn't say what it might otherwise be.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Looks like chert, or flint.  :unsure:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks like a fragment of a cast plaster of paris statue that is very worn.

Like 100 percent on that ID by the way.:thumbsu:

:Cry:

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

the grooves don't show the type of symmetry one would expect to see if it was one

Extremly worn grooves, or its definetly not one ? 

8 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like chert, or flint.  :unsure:

Yup Tim, flint indeed, maybe with some remains of chalk on it. I came to this conclusion too. The question remains : formed it naturally, or organic ?

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Looks like a fragment of a cast plaster of paris statue that is very worn.

Like 100 percent on that ID by the way.:thumbsu:

I wounldnt be so sure about that, this piece is around 70 mio years old, but the species "homo sapiens" evolved around 300.000 years ago. If its really one from that age, I would expect it beeing shaped like a mouse looking mammal from back then.

And that was me answering to a joke way to seriously :ighappy:

Edited by Brevicollis

My account and something about me :

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

Im just a guy who really loves fossils

1 hour ago, Brevicollis said:

Extremly worn grooves, or its definetly not one ?

I already clearly stated that it doesn't appear to be one to me.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/