Hi all,

I'm not sure what to make of this, so help would be appreciated. It comes from the Early Cretaceous (Albian) Mackunda Formation in central Queensland, Australia. Fossils from this site include a variety of sharks, fish, marine reptiles, invertebrates, etc. 

Thank you for any assistance!

a - top

b - bottom

c- side

d - front

e - back

Tooth.thumb.jpg.076c6220f2fdc7397899b2128a503132.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

My first thought is some type of crusher shark tooth, however, I'm not familiar with fossils from this area at all.

• I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Looks shark to me best bet would be to contact Mikael Siversson from the WA museum - he is a member of TFF but unsure how often he visits this site.

21 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Looks shark to me best bet would be to contact Mikael Siversson from the WA museum - he is a member of TFF but unsure how often he visits this site.

Thanks Mike, will try to email him!

It's pretty worn which makes a confident ID very difficult. My initial impression was Orectolobiformes AKA the carpet sharks. It reminds me most of a Cretorectolobus anterior which is debatably related to the modern wobbegong shark which funnily enough lives in Australia. Would be interested in hearing what Siversson has to say!

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Mikrogeophagus said:

It's pretty worn which makes a confident ID very difficult. My initial impression was Orectolobiformes AKA the carpet sharks. It reminds me most of a Cretorectolobus anterior which is debatably related to the modern wobbegong shark which funnily enough lives in Australia. Would be interested in hearing what Siversson has to say!

Thank you very much! Will keep searching for a better one. I’ll let you know what Siversson thinks. 

• Enjoyed 1

Very interesting tooth! While I can see similarities to an orectolobiform, the root actually reminds me more of a synechodontiform, such as Paraorthacodus or Synechodus (probably the former, but hard to tell without the crown). Synechodontiforms had "pseudopolyaulacorhizous" or "polyhemiaulacorhizous" roots (try saying that quickly), which refers to a type of root vascularization that includes multiple furrows (that you can also somewhat see on your tooth).

Here is a figure from Thiels et al., 2014 showing different types of vascularization. C) is Synechodus, Synechodus labial enamel typically extended over the root, which is not the case in your tooth. Paraorthacodus (and some other synechodontiforms, such as Sphenodus which persisted into Late Cretaceous) had their labial enamel end at the crown-root border which seems more fitting for your specimen - although it is hard to be sure without a complete crown.

ScreenShot2024-07-10at12_32_50PM.thumb.png.cd6b0fe0abf2e74c5a110ce3177a2288.png

Edited by Anomotodon
  • I found this Informative 2

The Tooth Fairy