Weathered tooth fragment

Sebassie

I am once again asking for your expertise. I’ve found this strongly weathered (suspected) tooth fragment at the Zandmotor beach in the Netherlands. This location is mostly known for Pleistocene fossils. 

Because it is so strongly weathered I fear that (online) identification might be difficult, but I would love to know what the experts here think. I am quite sure that it is a fossil and most likely a piece of a tooth. Especially the ribbed texture on the top right side of the first picture and the cross sections make me think of a tooth. 

Possible species that have crossed my mind are wild boar/pig, walrus, whale or hippo. All of these have been found at this specific beach, but some of these are considered rare finds. I’m not even sure it is one of the aforementioned species. I would love to know what you think! 

IMG_6164.jpeg

IMG_6165.jpeg

IMG_6166.jpeg

IMG_6167.jpeg

IMG_6168.jpeg

IMG_6169.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Interesting find...

This is your best photo.  It argues against bone...

TFF_ID.thumb.jpg.9842e04ecbbefdf7a4fec5f131699006.jpg

I agree that it is likely unidentifiable, a speculation would be walrus tusk.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Here are some threads discussing Walrus tusk... Note the globular dentine in photos and pictures

https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/126397-in-the-news-nc-walrus-tusk/

https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/126397-in-the-news-nc-walrus-tusk/

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you @Shellseeker, I really appreciate your response and additional information. I suppose ultimately unidentifiable finds are part of the game and trying to learn more about the fossils is just as much fun as finding them.

At the moment I’m considering whether polishing one of the cross sections might make identification easier, or whether that might just damage/ruin it. Any thoughts on that? 

55 minutes ago, Sebassie said:

I suppose ultimately unidentifiable finds are part of the game and trying to learn more about the fossils is just as much fun as finding them.

Correct.  I try to do a couple of things for any interesting unidentified fossil I find.. 

I try to convince myself on an ID, no matter if others can confirm or believe that ID or not.  I am much more targeted to my own learning than to getting an ID from someone else.

Here is your opportunity to learn LOTS about Walrus tusks... There are Walrus tusks whole or partials, fossil or modern ,  all over the internet... Just do a google search for "Walrus Tusk".. 

Here is what you have to compare...

GlobularDentine.jpg.692bb4ab94bde83a785c2086724783f7.jpg

It is oval, same as lots of Walrus tusks.

If this is a Walrus Tusk fragment... WHICH part of the tusk is it ?  close to the tip or close to the root?

What are the species of Walrus existed during the Pliocene or Pleistocene in the Netherlands?

Are you / me looking at Globular dentine in your find?  What does Globular Dentine Look like in the available Walrus tusks on the internet ? Maybe you will find some examples that are polished ? Then you would have a comparison piece when/IF you cut and polish yours...

You have to figure out whether you think it is Walrus first...

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Sebassie said:

I suppose ultimately unidentifiable finds are part of the game and trying to learn more about the fossils is just as much fun as finding them.

This!!! :D

• I Agree 2

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png