Newark Group Info

flyguy784

My son recently moved to Baltimore MD. I search, intently, the formations of the Newark Group here in Pa. I intend to visit him frequently, I'm hopeing to do some hunting in these formations while I'm down there. My understanding is that outcrops of both the afore mentioned formations do exist in Frederick and Carrol county's. Are there any of our members working in either of these Triassic areas? Would you like to get together? Would you consider Pming me with some locations that might produce? I'm more interested in flora than say tracks but obviously would like to find either. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I'd as well love to see pics of any finds you may have made. I'm begining the usual search through MD geo survey, then topo's etc. Maybe you could save me some gas and time. Thanks a million.

Edited by flyguy784

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

My son recently moved to Baltimore MD. I search, intently, the formations of the Newark Group here in Pa. I intend to visit him frequently, I'm hopeing to do some hunting in these formations while I'm down there. My understanding is that outcrops of both the afore mentioned formations do exist in Frederick and Carrol county's. Are there any of our members working in either of these Triassic areas? Would you like to get together? Would you consider Pming me with some locations that might produce? I'm more interested in flora than say tracks but obviously would like to find either. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I'd as well love to see pics of any finds you may have made. I'm begining the usual search through MD geo survey, then topo's etc. Maybe you could save me some gas and time. Thanks a million.

I'm in North Carolina, but I have studied the Newark Group and have some experience with the Newark supergroup within North Carolina and Virginia. If you don't already have it, download Google Earth and also the geologic map data for Pennsylvania. If you google "Pennsylvania Geologic map data" you will find a page that offers a .kmz format for the geologic map, which will work great with google Earth. You can turn off all other age layers but the Triassic layers, and that should help you narrow down your search area. Look for major highways which intersect the Triassic age rocks, and use street view to check for potential exposures. Almost every major roadcut exposure I've been to recently I found first on street view (or saw from Ariel photos on Google earth). It is a wonderful tool for people like us. You can also keep an eye out while you fly around the region for stone quarries residing in the belts of Triassic rocks. Quarries would be ideal, but roadside exposures are sometimes the best you can do.

As far as literature, you will want to download lots of Paul E. Olsen's papers. He is THE authority on the Newark supergroup, both from a geological and paleontological standpoint. A very helpful google trick, used to find pdf papers on a relevant subject is to include "filetype:pdf" in your search. A search such as

Olsen Pennsylvania Triassic filetype:pdf

Pennsylvania "late Triassic" filetype:pdf

Olsen "Newark Supergroup" filetype:pdf

and so on...

should bring up a wealth of relevant papers, and promising localities. I will take a look through my big ###### collection of Triassic papers and see if I can find any relevant sites for you to look into. Hope that helps.