Baby Keichousaurus fossil ?

• New Members

Hi folks, I have a very interesting (to me) problem.

I am a box maker and have been given a baby keichousaurus fossil to use as part of the lid to the box.

I am attaching 3 pictures. First is a pic as taken by the seller. Second is a pic  I took when received. Third is a pic just after I wiped it with a little denatured alcohol.

My obvious question is what happened? I am wondering if this was faked, but maybe I'm just stupid for wiping it? Can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Fossil Pic 1.jpg

Fossil Pic 2.jpg

Fossil Pic 3.jpg

This looks like it was painted/inked to highlight the bones. It is a typical horrible prep job on a real Keichousaurus.

The only way to fix it would be to re-paint the bones to show them off properly.

As with any fossil, ... it is always best to test a small area when applying ANYTHING to it.  But especially so with Chinese possibly painted fossils.  :(

Heck,  who knows, ... regular water may have wiped it clean.  :shrug:

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Baby Keichousaurus fossil ?

@Rob H: could you post a clearer pic of the Keichou after cleaning with alcohol? I would assume it is a carved one like mentioned but some of them have bones in the same color than the stone and it might be a mix. But, only might be... My experience with the Keichous says..., 95% Carvosaurus, but who knows...

thanks!

You washed away the paint im afraid. You must have a problem now ? because your client is expecting it to arrive like he gave it to you.
You must always be very careful with alcohol, or acetone. 

There are some restorateurs around they could repaint it. If you are interested I can give some names, just send me a DM then  . 

• Thank You 1

• New Members
4 hours ago, rocket said:

@Rob H: could you post a clearer pic of the Keichou after cleaning with alcohol? I would assume it is a carved one like mentioned but some of them have bones in the same color than the stone and it might be a mix. But, only might be... My experience with the Keichous says..., 95% Carvosaurus, but who knows...

thanks!

Here is the best I could do. Hope it gives you some insight.

IMG_9491.jpg

I don't think there's a way to fix it. Whomever enhanced the bones with paint must have been using some impressive techniques to paint something so small.

This is the ghost of a keicho!

Franz Bernhard

• New Members

I happen to have a microscope and have made a video of me moving through the fossil from head to tail. My (inexperienced) impression is that it is hardly a fossil as it was described. Looks to me to be an impression at best (and definitely painted).

Seller description and cost removed as per Forum rules.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members

My apologies.

I neglected to add this to the video I posted:

Comparing to my original post of pics, do you think this video indicates anything pointing to it being real and having absolutely no restoration or touch up?

Is it worth having "repaired"?

Thank you - Rob

Is the texture raised or does it go inwards/downwards? Tough to tell on my screen but I'm wondering if its the negative imprint.

*Frank*

Looks like there are bones there but they were ground to hell and back (arms and legs are half gone) and painted over. It's clear there is something left after you removed the paint.

Edited by JBkansas
  • I Agree 1

• New Members
56 minutes ago, FB003 said:

Is the texture raised or does it go inwards/downwards? Tough to tell on my screen but I'm wondering if its the negative imprint.

I agree it is difficult. As JBkansas stated, it is worn down a great deal. From my careful touch and the ability to examine with even greater magnification, I believe there is SOME bone, but also flat and negative areas. I suppose that indicates once some bone, but eroded out.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rob H said:

I suppose that indicates once some bone, but eroded out.

This is common, even with larger and better (air abrasion) prepared specimens. Keich bones (esp fingers/toes) can be small and fragile.

Edited by JBkansas

This was not air abraided, it was grinded and prepped with acid, then painted over. Because of grinding and acid bones look similar color to matrix. If you have the posibility, try air abrasion on the bones, maybe there is a slight chance to get a bit of original grey/black bone color contrast back, with the right abrasive; but I'm afraid it's destroyed/massacred beyond major repair.

• I Agree 1

From time to time I have wondered if some of these specimens could be salvaged, at least somewhat, by gluing the destroyed side to a solid support and then prepping from the other side.  Perhaps by removing a lot of the covering matrix, then using proper air tools and maybe some judicious use of acid.  Sort of like what is done with the Messel fossils, where the exposed side is embedded (and stabilized) in acrylic and then it's prepped from the back.  It would be a lot of work of course, but for a potentially great specimen it might be worth it.  Not so much if most of the bones have already been ground away.

Don

10 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

From time to time I have wondered if some of these specimens could be salvaged, at least somewhat, by gluing the destroyed side to a solid support and then prepping from the other side.  Perhaps by removing a lot of the covering matrix, then using proper air tools and maybe some judicious use of acid.  Sort of like what is done with the Messel fossils, where the exposed side is embedded (and stabilized) in acrylic and then it's prepped from the back.  It would be a lot of work of course, but for a potentially great specimen it might be worth it.  Not so much if most of the bones have already been ground away.

Don

Probably not worth it given the massive number of Keiches out there unless it is the holotype of a new species or has remarkable preservation.

It's a badly acid prepped specimen of juvenile Keich.  I am not sure if it's painted though (too much work for paint such a small specimen).  For most matrix of Keich (the soft matrix), it's not water friendly, you wipe it with water (or alcohol), it will be wiped off.  Only the hard matrix which locals called "hard plate" is water impermeable and you can literally soak it in water without damaging the fossil.

For comparison, the top one is soft matrix, not water friendly.  The bottom one is hard plate, "waterproof".

IMG_8624.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

• I found this Informative 1