Nanotyrannus or Other Tyrannosauridae: Help Identifying

MegaTooth91

• New Members

Hello, 

I wanted to ask if someone could help me identify the fossil shown in the attached photos? I've been told that it might be a juvenile tyrannosaur or nanotyrannus, but since I'm new to theropod claws wanted to ask the community. Any help would be really appreciated 🙏

inbound4651376274990220639.jpg

inbound3736654103848845647.jpg

• New Members

Apologies for the inconvenience but I forgot to include in the above that the claw is from the Hell Creek Formation.

Here is a guide that might come in handy, but there are definetly more pictures needed, as the diagnostic features that help distinguish the species are not really visible.

Also, I kinda doubt that this claw is from hell creek, as I've seen many Niger claws that looked similar, and were around that sice and had these weird "bumps" on them.

But thats just one of my thoughts that I could be completly wrong in, as I am by no means an expert, so please dont take this as hard. Its just one of my thoughts, nothing more. 

@hadrosauridae, @ThePhysicist could help more here, I think.

My account and something about me :

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

Im just a guy who really loves fossils

• New Members

@Brevicollis Thanks for the info! One other piece of info I have is that it's from Garfield County, Montana. Not sure if that's helpful. 

I agree the preservation points more to it being a Niger claw, I highly doubt it's from the Hell Creek Formation. 

Garfield Co is within hell creek formation.  All I can really offer. Not sure if its really distinguishable between the two at that size though. I don't see any reason why this can't be a claw from HC unless people who are familiar with the locality and actually dig there concur the preservation does not match. Preservation is not standard within the same formation and variations occur. You may need more than the two angles to confirm if its tyrannosaurid.

Edited by FB003
  • I Agree 2

*Frank*

Mineral encrusting, including iron siderite is common to find on Hell Creek fossils, and I could see this potentially being an ornithomimid foot claw if the locality data is accurate. 

• I Agree 2

Niger claw. Can see the hematite from here. And it's not possible to identify this claw