Fake Zilchovaspis trilobite from Morocco?

A Zilchovaspis trilobite from Morocco that I have an interest in purchasing from a local rock/gem/fossil shop. My knowledge on trilobites is very limited and I'm ccurious if it's a fabrication or has been heavily restored at all. Took the best photos I could while looking at it, if better photos are needed I can ask to see it again. Any opinions on its authenticity are much appreciated along with ant tips/tricks on how to identify fake trilobites for future reference, thanks!

IMG_4608.thumb.jpg.87b4cd92235d098d1a186498ed06e48e.jpgIMG_4607.thumb.jpg.089c31aea495f07fdafe52a208c0188a.jpgcuriIMG_4609.thumb.jpg.a1f99e76dc1f0e0b5a641c19dad4a94a.jpgIMG_4606.thumb.jpg.b55f14a203c950718a8e150108a6454c.jpgIMG_4605.thumb.jpg.3c577bcde0a8200e826021adca6735cc.jpgIMG_4604.thumb.jpg.abb00e0e7d2380ca03f36a7ac582cf0b.jpgIMG_4603.thumb.jpg.743ac632b902f92c08426a9d8e4de662.jpgIMG_4602.thumb.jpg.88c763df776586c8b0974e6d950eb191.jpg

Eyes look good, discovery crack is there. Perhaps some minor resto in spots, but if so it seems very tastefully done.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

12 hours ago, Kane said:

Eyes look good, discovery crack is there. Perhaps some minor resto in spots, but if so it seems very tastefully done.

Thank you so much for your insight! If I may ask really quick, what is and what is the significance of a "discovery crack" and why are the eyes a different color from the fossil/matrix? 

This kind of trilobites are discovered by cracking a rock, seeing if there's a trilobite, then glueing the rock back together and preparing it. So it's expected to see a crack that goes through the trilobite. The 100% fake Moroccan trilobites will not have that crack. The eyes being a different color I can't say more than something that happened during fossilization and it's not the first time I have seen this.

• Thank You 1

Here is a picture of a Moroccan trilobite as found. The cross section is what you see.  As stated, you glue the two piece back together and  work you way down the the fossil.

Joe

DSC_0375.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, LordWampa said:

This kind of trilobites are discovered by cracking a rock, seeing if there's a trilobite, then glueing the rock back together and preparing it. So it's expected to see a crack that goes through the trilobite. The 100% fake Moroccan trilobites will not have that crack. The eyes being a different color I can't say more than something that happened during fossilization and it's not the first time I have seen this.

2 hours ago, crinus said:

Here is a picture of a Moroccan trilobite as found. The cross section is what you see.  As stated, you glue the two piece back together and  work you way down the the fossil.

Joe

DSC_0375.JPG

A big thanks to both of you! I'd never really known the process of how the find/prep these larger 3-D trilobites. The only ones I've had in my collection are the flattened ones from the Wheeler Shale in Utah; so I really do appreciate the information!

Another question I have is what is the name of the rock layer this trilobite was found in?

That might be tricky as it does occur in the Maider Group and the Anti-Atlas mountains. Lebrun has an excellent book on Moroccan trilobites if you can find it.

Having prepared a few trilobites from there, I can tell you from experience it isn't easy (to do well). 

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

This looks a very good one to me..would assume a bit of coloring on the back and finish with soap to have it shining as this. 

Good piece!

• Thank You 1

On 7/13/2024 at 11:37 AM, Kane said:

That might be tricky as it does occur in the Maider Group and the Anti-Atlas mountains. Lebrun has an excellent book on Moroccan trilobites if you can find it.

Having prepared a few trilobites from there, I can tell you from experience it isn't easy (to do well). 

Thank you, again, and that's very good to know. And I know what you mean, I've seen some ROUGH looking Moroccan trilobites out there.