Need an ID on this black rock (Western New York)

moodorf

This is the only other rock I have found in my recent travels that is unusual and requires some ID.

What I know about this rock from my amateur level of knowledge:

-Isn't very light the way coal is, weighs about as much as one would think it does (I don't have a scale)
-does not break easily, tried to break it with just my hands, didn't happen. very solid piece of whatever it is.

-found near a riverbed, likely has been tumbling around in the river.

-room temperature to the touch, not cold like you'd expect a rock to be

-non-magnetic
-non-combustible/did not ignite like bituminous coal when I broke a piece off to test

-has a waxy sort of luster about it, not shiny like coal but not dull either

-leaves a brownish streak on paper
-Could be a piece of coal although it isn't brittle at all
-Might not even be a rock for all I know
-Seems to have sort of conchodial fractures in it
-It's definitely not obsidian
-"feels weird" in my hands in a way that is hard to describe.

I've already asked another website about this but I want to hear your opinions before I disclose what they thought; I don't want to bias this website one way or another.

I can answer any further questions about this rock if you ask.

Thanks for clicking :)

black-rock-found-in-a-river-deposition-v0-n0hs01j2ha7d1.thumb.webp.c2d673c4f3fdb3ae1a392cb14ce5dcfd.webp

black-rock-found-in-a-river-deposition-v0-dt6rgyi2ha7d1.thumb.webp.0ff04e4ec28b8791823d1c4ff69301f2.webp

black-rock-found-in-a-river-deposition-v0-dmj26zi2ha7d1.thumb.webp.adb6973f8e3168630784536cc1090cba.webp

black-rock-found-in-a-river-deposition-v0-w3c5dvi2ha7d1.thumb.webp.0946ccd53bfee07b4280418490b12728.webp

• moodorf changed the title to Need an ID on this black rock (Western New York)
9 minutes ago, moodorf said:

-leaves a brownish streak on paper

It seems to be quite soft than!

Can you scratch it with the tip of knife blade and show us the uncleaned result? Thank!
Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

20240713_031711.thumb.jpg.23b448b8c87791ef8f547589712e5e4c.jpg20240713_031828.thumb.jpg.3e91deb6555a543670496b208b5edb68.jpg

sorry my camera is having a hard time focusing

• Thank You 1

Thanks! It seems to be easily scratched and leaves a black powder?
Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

Here's the picture I took for Reddit. It leaves a brownish/black streak.
black-rock-found-in-a-river-deposition-v0-mfppxzi2ha7d1.thumb.webp.820e65246fac3efe62b070b95780bf31.webp

• Thank You 1

I am stumped by the softness, but it isn´t grafite, this should give pure black streak.

It could be cannel or boghead coal, but these should ignite easily.

Well, there is also shungite in various grades, that means, carbon content. Shungite-like material could be an option. But I don´t know the streak color.

It looks also much like jet, but it isn´t.

Those carbon-rocks are tricky ;).

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

Thanks for looking into it.

I am completely stumped about what it is too.

Some of the other suggestions on Reddit were that it was a highly metamorphisized slate, boghead coal, cannel coal, coal,
natural bitumen, graphite, or even possibly a very old bog wood.

44 minutes ago, moodorf said:

Some of the other suggestions on Reddit were that it was a highly metamorphisized slate, boghead coal, cannel coal, coal,
natural bitumen, graphite
, or even possibly a very old bog wood.

LOL!! - To say the least ;) !

@ynot, @Rockwood - Thanks!

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Thank You 1

I don't think it could be slate, and I seriously doubt it's wood. Cannel coal seem likely. Maybe try a little harder to burn it. Coal doesn't light easily. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 2

From what I remember, though, Cannel Coal splits nicely.  This looks more like some kind of flint, chert, or dolostone.

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

32 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

From what I remember, though, Cannel Coal splits nicely.  This looks more like some kind of flint, chert, or dolostone.

Can you write on paper with any of these?

• Thank You 1

43 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Can you write on paper with any of these?

:shrug:

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Maybe some sort of solidified tar, asphalt, or bitumen, resolidified after having been melted for something like road maintenance. Your tactile descriptions match it quite well. These substances are melted down for things like roadwork, and chunks of them can be lost after they chip the cooled material off of their vehicles and devices.

• Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, EphemeralMoose said:

Maybe some sort of solidified tar, asphalt, or bitumen, resolidified after having been melted for something like road maintenance. Your tactile descriptions match it quite well. These substances are melted down for things like roadwork, and chunks of them can be lost after they chip the cooled material off of their vehicles and devices.

This would melt/burn quite readily though. 

• Thank You 1

9 hours ago, moodorf said:

-non-combustible/did not ignite like bituminous coal when I broke a piece off to test

Try burning small amount in a powder form.

How do you "lite" it?

Does it smell? when heated/burning?

• Thank You 1

Asphaltite and related minerals look similar, and have the same color for streak tests. Until we get more information, like smells and mass, I don't know what else it could be. Keep in mind I am not formally trained in mineralogy or geology, therefore my guess is just that.

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

This would melt/burn quite readily though. 

Depending on the method used to try igniting it, that could vary.

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Try burning small amount in a powder form.

How do you "lite" it?

Does it smell? when heated/burning?

Fire source would be useful. A typical pocket lighter would doubtfully do much. Something like a butane torch would be good.

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, EphemeralMoose said:

Fire source would be useful. A typical pocket lighter would doubtfully do much. Something like a butane torch would be good.

Funny you should say that.

I scraped off some powder off the mystery rock and tried to light it with a lighter. Nothing. Did not ignite. No burning smell observed. Then I tried a match. Same thing.
So as a control I grabbed a piece of actual bituminous coal and tried the same thing. It didn't ignite either. I then realized the only time I've seen coal burn in my life is when I've put some in an already sizeable campfire.

I could have sworn the powder itself smelled a little like coal dust before I tried to ignite it though.....hmmm.....maybe I need to invest in some sort of torch.

I'm pretty sure I've seen road asphalt in the river, but the thing is, it would always seem accumulate more smaller rocks as it weathered and reformed and in the process end up looking like a conglomerate rock.

20240713_144103.thumb.jpg.61eca59355db559692fa90fc11f4b834.jpg

Edited by moodorf

19 hours ago, moodorf said:

I scraped off some powder off the mystery rock and tried to light it with a lighter. Nothing. Did not ignite. No burning smell observed. Then I tried a match. Same thing.

Then My best guess is Catlinite (pipe stone). It is usually a rust brown, but can be found in darker colors.

• Thank You 1