Unknown dino tooth? - ID'd as Araripesuchus

rocket

Got an unusual tooth some weeks ago, very small (approx 1 cm / 0.4"). First I thought it is a claw due to the shape, but it is a tooth. Reminds to a small sauropod-tooth. Any ideas?

thanks

5116_Zahn_indet.thumb.jpg.c2547162a0f532a7a86751554901695f.jpg5113_Zahn_indet.thumb.jpg.56f1d7e5f8eb42ede40dd430cc981bdd.jpg5112_Zahn_indet.thumb.jpg.9d51d492d9e1a7b7e2dc98cd33dbd438.jpg5109_Zahn_indet.thumb.jpg.baa6045e551d634d1a8fb51b300ea1af.jpg5118_Zahn_indet.thumb.jpg.79638220eb47632fcc5832bfd73dec89.jpgropodSaaur

• Enjoyed 2

Photo from the top down perhaps might help with showing the shape.

• Thank You 1

*Frank*

I try one later, not easy, tiny one...

Reminds to an Ankylsaur-type

It does seem to have a leaf shape from some angles which I think could support your idea of sauropod.

• Thank You 1

*Frank*

Interesting one, definitely not a typical Kem Kem tooth. Photos from straight angles would really help. It does remind me of certain sauropod teeth, but nothing I have ever seen before from the  Kem Kem beds. Premax/anterior theropod tooth is perhaps another possibility. Or crocidilian? I clearly need more pictures :p

Edited by BirdsAreDinosaurs

Very interesting tooth! Certainly not a sauropod, sauropods with denticulated teeth were no longer around by mid-Cretaceous. I think it is a (dentary?) caniniform tooth of Araripesuchus rattoides, or possibly another small croc. Constriction at the base of the crown doesn't fit with a theropod and is typical of croc teeth.

Might also be one of the incisiform teeth of a juvenile Hamadasuchus, it’s hard to tell them apart.

Edited by Anomotodon
  • Thank You 1

The Tooth Fairy

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

Very interesting tooth! Certainly not a sauropod, sauropods with denticulated teeth were no longer around by mid-Cretaceous. I think it is a (dentary?) caniniform tooth of Araripesuchus rattoides, or possibly another small croc. Constriction at the base of the crown doesn't fit with a theropod and is typical of croc teeth.

Might also be one of the incisiform teeth of a juvenile Hamadasuchus, it’s hard to tell them apart.

Cretaceous_Crocodyliforms_from_the_Sahara.pdf

Ou, a juvenile croc? Interesting, thanks a lot, @Anomotodon. Never thought this could be, but this is a new way for researching in the net to compare

e.g. got it! Paul C. Sereno & Hans C.E. Larsson (2009): Cretaceous Crocodyliforms from the Sahara; ZooKeys 28: 1 - 143, Fig 20, pg. 50

I add the pdf

Edited by rocket

Thanks for the additional pictures! I just started getting into croc teeth, but I agree that it does not look like a theropod tooth and is likely a croc tooth. Check out the animals Anomotodon mentioned, they are awesome terrestrial crocodyliforms with very interesting teeth.

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, BirdsAreDinosaurs said:

Thanks for the additional pictures! I just started getting into croc teeth, but I agree that it does not look like a theropod tooth and is likely a croc tooth. Check out the animals Anomotodon mentioned, they are awesome terrestrial crocodyliforms with very interesting teeth.

thanks. I found a similar in a paper from Sereno & Larsson, looks like Araripesuchus. I would never have thought that this could be a crocodile...

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Unknown dino tooth? - ID'd as Araripesuchus