Kem Kem crocodile tooth

BirdsAreDinosaurs

Hi all! I think this might be a crocodile tooth, but I am not quite sure as I cannot seem to find anything from the Kem Kem beds that is a good match. The tooth is from near Talsint and is approximately 3 cm long. It is very straight, has pretty smooth enamel and I am not able to discern serrations. Is this a croc tooth, and if yes, would it be possible to assign it to a family, genus or species? Thanks!

IMG_1572.thumb.jpeg.a06179ded694a9b81b3cf8ed1dce3222.jpeg

IMG_1443.thumb.jpeg.43365cccf962392e5bff33dcd78af5a9.jpeg

IMG_1445.thumb.jpeg.572e13eb47cd942b9e91b3a9e6b0c6f0.jpeg

interesting one, no idea. We have had two like this from KemKem and gave them away as ?Croc. Was not possible to identify them clear.

Some of the juvenile Spinos look a bit like this, now visible serration and no ripping, so...

• Enjoyed 1

Thanks for your thoughts! Juvenile Spino has crossed my mind, but the overall shape and the enamel texture do not really seem to be a good match.

I am curious what you think, @Anomotodon!

It might be Laganosuchus maghrebiensis - here is a tooth assigned to it (scale 2 cm). Smooth enamel, somewhat labio-lingually compressed. I assume more anterior teeth could have had less distally curved apices. Juvenile spinosaurid is also a possibility.

image.thumb.png.c669a2635f2d6c87c0dd784bd34526ca.png

Here is L. thaumastos from Niger.

image.png.cc232bd655db17622adaeca0aee19316.png

Although some Laganosuchus teeth had flutting - L. maghrebiensis, not sure if this is a positional or preservational effect.

image.thumb.png.1e1d6ba19cac968036daa3ed6809d704.png

• Thank You 1

The Tooth Fairy