Hi,

I went collecting with my dad in the Mazon Creek area to look for fossils. We went to a spoil pile, and found some interesting things. Some of the fossils are awaiting freeze thaw, but at first glance, we saw some interesting things. For one, there is a lepidodendron fossil with parichnos visible. I thought the 2nd coolest fossil of the find, was a fossil seed exoderm that was petrified. I may be wrong about some of the ID's, so I wanted someone to look over and tell me if I have this correct. I made my best guess at a few of these. Thanks.

0196_labelled.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

plantfossils.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Can you take close-up pictures of each find? I am not seeing any obvious fossils except for the worm part. Your seed fern and Cordaites seeds are probably complete concretions.

The Tooth Fairy

The only thing I can see offhand is the possible Didontogaster anterior portion. The seed looks like an unopened concretion to me. The Lepidodendron does not have a regular pattern as one would normally find on fossils of that genus. I don't see any distinguishing features of an insect on the dragonfly specimen.

I agree that we need better close-up photos of each specimen individually, better focused in natural lighting in order to determine if any of these are actually fossils. You're definitely on the right track as far the material you collected goes. The specimens you found are not very well preserved to begin with, and therefore more difficult to identify.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

In your last photo, the only specimen in the "top" row may possibly have some kind of bivalve preserved? I would have to see a better picture to be certain, though.