Annual Green River Fish Trip

Ptychodus04

I got back this weekend from my annual trip up to Kemmerer to collect fish in the Green River Formation. It was a great trip and I got to help with a guided tour as my wife and her friends flew in for a few days.

I found a bunch of fish as expected but didn’t bring home as many as typical. I just don’t have time to prep them. We were in a new quarry this year that has the upper split fish layer exposed. This was cool as the fish split clean like in the Sandwich Beds but are much better preserved. We even found a bit of the Phareodus Layer that produced a nice Phareodus. It’s going to need some work as it split through the head but I got all the pieces.

If course, I had to fly my Norwegian flag…

IMG_1746.thumb.jpeg.c98d2900d53d4aa13e1f25be5253ff40.jpeg

IMG_7333.thumb.jpeg.f50050c46fd59080171e78da636ed42a.jpeg

IMG_7327.thumb.jpeg.48cf73d9e408ff9e6a02500f2daabcd9.jpeg

Phareodus layer split. Needs a glue up and heavy prep on the skull. There’s also a Knightia with it.

IMG_1767.thumb.jpeg.b9fe9872ae66ef3597704cf157fa3138.jpeg

Upper Split Fish Knightia. You can’t beat this preservation.

IMG_1749.thumb.jpeg.c46b987b20a70f9db37d6b89ca14095b.jpeg

Sandwich Bed palm frond.
IMG_1768.thumb.jpeg.35a8571d30393cf5c71a66dfe1b71685.jpeg

Not to be forgotten are the amazing nighttime views. The is a 10 minute exposure at 18mm with my camera piggyback mounted to the telescope.MilkyWay17-8-2410minutes.thumb.jpeg.4367093e8e1762704906e49ebf927993.jpeg

I’ll have more pics coming as I unpack. I collected a nice Noto that’s going to need a lot of work as it’s in 4 pieces. :duh2:

• Enjoyed 22

Nice finds!

• Thank You 1

Cheers!

James

I have been meaning to get down there for a while but still haven't!

• I Agree 1

Cheers!

James

Thanks for the "action" photos. I enjoy seeing how these fish are collected. I'm sure you'll work your magic on that beautiful Phareodus. I hadn't realized how well preserved a Knightia can be in that split-fish layer. I'm glad you had an enjoyable and successful trip under the stars.

Mioplosus---Awesome.gif.2bb1b1eaf5bba667cd4cf6ebebb7d6f2.gif

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

56 minutes ago, trilobites_are_awesome said:

I have been meaning to get down there for a while but still haven't!

It's a bucket list stop for many collectors. If you go, you really want to dig in one of the quarries that has 18" material. It's a bit more expensive of an outing but the fish are significantly better.

20 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

Thanks for the "action" photos. I enjoy seeing how these fish are collected. I'm sure you'll work your magic on that beautiful Phareodus. I hadn't realized how well preserved a Knightia can be in that split-fish layer. I'm glad you had an enjoyable and successful trip under the stars.

Mioplosus---Awesome.gif.2bb1b1eaf5bba667cd4cf6ebebb7d6f2.gif

The action photos are courtesy of my dear wife. If she hadn't flown in there wouldn't be any. :default_rofl: Although, you can check out my company's instagram (if you're on that platform) for some videos. My son is advising on my social media presence (I really need the help) and he suggested filming a bunch while I was there. So, I have hours of digging in real time and time-lapse that will start going up.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I’ll have more pics coming as I unpack. I collected a nice Noto that’s going to need a lot of work as it’s in 4 pieces. :duh2:

:popcorn::)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Looks like a great trip with some really nice specimens! I’m jealous!

I started unpacking some of the Upper Splits rock last night and pulled out the one fish I plan to keep for my personal collection. This little Mioplosus isn’t the best but it does come with a nice leaf.

IMG_1787.thumb.jpeg.9ca6c43b5bcbe4c36360b0c6a64a02e1.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

LOL! I was wondering if you ever kept any for yourself! Is there more prepping that can be done on the fish?

41 minutes ago, Randyw said:

LOL! I was wondering if you ever kept any for yourself! Is there more prepping that can be done on the fish?

Every now and again, I’ll keep some. It has to be special though. There’s no preparation to do on this guy. This is all that was preserved.

This is all that was preserved.

Still a very nice looking speciman!

Pretty neat.  Nothing paraloid can't improve a little bit (that's the most amount of enhancement I ever do to fossils :P)

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

35 minutes ago, Jaybot said:

Pretty neat.  Nothing paraloid can't improve a little bit (that's the most amount of enhancement I ever do to fossils :P)

Yep. It's got a wee bit of B72 on it. Not enough to really darken anything but just enough to lock down the flaky bits of bone.

• Enjoyed 1

I don’t have any time right now to prep any of my personal finds from the trip but this one was calling my name and I had to spend some time on it. The Cockerelites was pretty flaky but the Knightia and 2 Diplomystus are really well preserved.

IMG_1798.thumb.jpeg.406ed0f2684364d07d7e81092a1f41f7.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

Great report Kris and that last plate is beautiful.

• Thank You 1

Nice!

• Thank You 1

-Jay

Wonderful specimens. Can't wait to see you work your prep magic on them, especially the palm. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. 

• Thank You 1

It's going to be a while. :P:duh2:

Just send them to me, I could ahem get them done for you…… :P

-Jay

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Very altruistic of you...

Very…. :ninja:

:default_rofl:

Edited by Jaybot