Where exactly is the Abbey Wood fossil pit ?

Clay man

I set of this morning to scout around Abbey woods. I found the gate to the fossil enclosure, enclosed by a metal fence, but it looked nothing like on the photos on the internet. The one image is what I saw. Overgrown, muddy with a big fire pit at the end. It looks like people camp there and try to make flint tools or something. Bits of broken glass everywhere and not a sign that anyone has dug there. I could see the chalk cliffs. The other photo with prople on is in a different enclosure, enclosed by a wooden fence. This is not my photo and taken from a geology website.

Was I in the wrong location? Where exactly do you dig for fossils in Abbey wood?

is there a local who can guide me?

Thank you!

IMG_9452.jpeg

IMG_9455.jpeg

I found these.

51.487102, 0.13085961

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Isotelus2883 said:

I found these.

51.487102, 0.13085961

Thank you. If this is correct then the chalk pit and the fossil bed is not in the same location. I will use these coordinates next time.

It is difficult navigating the forest as a first timer but it is beautiful out there.

Edited by Clay man

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Where exactly is the Abbey Wood fossil pit ?
Posted (edited)

I pieced together what happened during today’s misadventure. I had the correct location in google maps. I searched ‘abbey wood fossils’. That name correlates roughly with the lon and lat lines that was provided. The path was overgrown so I walked a longer way around the forest. I saw the ‘chalk pit’ signboard with fossils on it and just assumed I arrived😞. Planning a new excursion.

Edited by Clay man

Sorry to hear you couldn't find it! It can be quite confusing on the first visit and the signs aren't the greatest. 

The easiest way to access the pit is :

1.  Start from the ruins, facing away from the street.

2. Look to the hill on your left. You will see a steep staircase in a gap in the foliage. 

3. Climb the staircase then turn right at the MAIN path. This path is considerably wider and more trodden than other paths. 
4. Continue on until you see a fenced-in area on your right. There will be a statue of a creature and some paving stones with pictures of fossils on them, so you'll know you're in the right place. 

I've done a trip report suggesting what to bring and searching methods, if you fancy a read. 

Hope this helps! 

• Thank You 1