Could this be a Pterosaur beak?

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I have my eye on an interesting piece. The seller doesn't seem to know what it is, but it looks like it might be the tip of the beak of an Azhdarchid Pterosaur or at least similar to ones I've seen advertised as such. Another possibility that occured to be is Hybodont spine, but it doesn't quite look right (or maybe it does and I'm seeing Pterosaur because i want to).

Not a lot of information beyond it being 2.75 inches (about 7 cm) and coming from a collection that specialized in Moroccan material.

What do you all think?

Any insight is appreciated as always!

s-l1600e.thumb.jpg.cb5e9c748cbc37729e6fcbd001825392.jpgs-l1600c.thumb.jpg.b0ab60fd76cb548a7d0ebbfe28e04a72.jpgs-l1600b.thumb.jpg.5c294b7d4c0c3a0467536552e57411c4.jpgs-l1600d.thumb.jpg.89e9705e0a08a4561b64daede8a0f14f.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Unfortunately not a Pterosaur beak, also doesn't look like a hybodont spine. Don’t know what it is though :Confused05:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Way too chunky for pterosaur I’d say. Their skeletons are optimized for flight so then to be thin with internal struts and trebeculae for strength. 
Not sure what this is but the external surface does make me think fish 

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Brevicollis said:

From what I've seen on the pictures, I think that this might be a Billfish rostrum of some sort ?

I am by no means an expert, so wait for other opinions first.

The top photo resembles a billfish rostrum.  The lineations on the flip side are interesting though.  I don't believe that I've seen those before. Looking at the half dozen or so that I have as well as an hour or so looking online through modern examples as well as Neogene fossil "marlin" bills seem to support that suspicion. I also don't see the two nutrient pores (or whatever term) in the last photo that are present in all of mine and in other photos ( see photo courtesy of our own @Harry Pristis) though that could be due to the photo angle.

Perhaps a Paleorhynchid? That's more fitting given the OP stated that it came "from a collection that specialized in Moroccan material"

Based upon the few photos with sufficient detail/clarity that I could find online, I don't think it to be Protosphyraena, but there aren't many good photos out there of Protosphyraena  rostra.

gallery_42_2_28218.jpg

Edited by hemipristis
  • I found this Informative 4

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

12 hours ago, hemipristis said:

The top photo resembles a billfish rostrum.  The lineations on the flip side are interesting though.  I don't believe that I've seen those before. Looking at the half dozen or so that I have as well as an hour or so looking online through modern examples as well as Neogene fossil "marlin" bills seem to support that suspicion. I also don't see the two nutrient pores (or whatever term) in the last photo that are present in all of mine and in other photos ( see photo courtesy of our own @Harry Pristis) though that could be due to the photo angle.

Perhaps a Paleorhynchid? That's more fitting given the OP stated that it came "from a collection that specialized in Moroccan material"

Based upon the few photos with sufficient detail/clarity that I could find online, I don't think it to be Protosphyraena, but there aren't many good photos out there of Protosphyraena  rostra.

gallery_42_2_28218.jpg

Can't say I'm surprised it's not pterosaur, oh well. Thanks for the insight everyone!

I'm seeing a lot of people saying fish of some sort, could it be the tip of a big dorsal spine from a really big boney fish?