Hi all!

Yesterday, I was sorting through some glacial clay specimens I have from the Saskatoon area. I took most of them from an exposure because of the incredible trace fossils they contain (will post about later!). These clay layers are strongly varved and have the traditional appearance of glacial lake clay. However, interspersed amongst the layers of clay/silt are small pockets of black soil. I have read that these could possibly be bird droppings, or they could just be small lumps of soil that somehow became incorporated into the clay. In these soil pockets, plant fossils of exquisite preservation abound, but I also found this curious critter. I have no idea where to begin with it. When I first saw it, it immediately reminded me of a Triops head, but the “eyes” seem too big for that, plus the structure of the carapace would not allow for the clean line at the bottom (At least that I know of). It seems very much to me like an insect/invertebrate head, probably because it’s bringing me back to Trilobite hunting in Ontario. :trilowalk: The two “eyes” protrude ever so slightly from the “head” when viewed horizontally. The entire structure is about 0.5 mm in total length. I also fully believe it could be some type of microscopic organism I have not yet heard of. Ostracods come to mind (I have found them nearby) but I have never seen one like this. Any insight or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

IMG_0962.jpeg

Doesn't look like an insect head to me. 
Can't say what it may be, but I don't think insect head.

@FossilDAWG

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me