Paraloid B72 and acrylic paint

Daze

I have a fossil that I want to consolidate with a Paraloid B72 and ethyl acetate 5% solution (premixed). However, parts of the fossil have been retouched with acrylic paint and I'm wondering whether the Paraloid will dissolve the paint on the fossil? 

Edited by Daze

Depends on what the Paraloid has been cut with.  I myself have used Glyptal cut with acitone and have not had a problem but I know if I don't apply it fast enough it will start to desolve the acrylic.  Not sure if this help, but thar ya go

RB

• Thank You 1

paraloid is a plastic, it wont affect the paint.  The question is whether the solvent will affect the paint, and there is a good chance a solvent WILL re-soluize (is that a word ? lol )  best thing would be to paint something with the same type of paint, and then put the solution on it, and see what happens.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

Acrylic paint is notoriously soluble. The best thing you can do is brush it on quick and not touch it until the solvent evaporates. any retouch or re-application of of your solution will likely pull the acrylic paint off the specimen.

For this reason, I have gone away from using acrylics in my restorations. I use dry pigments mixed directly into the Apoxie Sculpt or Paleo Sculpt for custom colors. This significantly shortens the live working time of the epoxy clay but it removes any possibility of the color being removed by solvents.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Thanks for your advice guys, really appreciate it! Guess I'll just brush it on quick and hope for the best :fingerscrossed: