It's possible to know if a Spinosaurus tooth is from an adult?

Izan

I'm actually obsessed with Spinosaurus. For several years I've had in mind te fully reconstruction of the lower and upper dentition of this dinosaur. But I'm not an expert on this specific topic, soI need help on several topics;

- Know if the teeth belong to Maxilla (right or left) or to Dentary (right or left).

- Know if it's possible to differentiate fully developed adult tooths from juvenile's tooths.

I've already acquired three teeth from this animal, and a caudal vertebra. Tooths are from the Tegana Formation (if anyone could provide me with scientific articles, research, studies on this site I would appreciate it) Could any of the experts here help me with the items mentioned and tell me if my teeth and vertebrae belong to an adult or a juvenile?

Any questions (more measures, photos, etc) don't hesitate to ask, don't be shy!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Teeth are heavily restored. Dont think we can get a good idea per se of its position etc.

Yeah, I've already noticed. Are any tip to know the level of restoration of a tooth?

50% or more on every tooth. 

Lay it in a bath of aceton. But chance is big it will all fall apart.

Ok... I understand, these pieces aren't useful for my project. Since I am not an expert, could you provide me with some tricks for my next purchases?

Use the forum and post on "is it real?". There multiples of experienced collectors like us can help you out. All we want is prevent collectors to buy fake or freakosaurus teeth. Private message of course too. 

Thank you Joris, I'm new here and I don't know where post these doubts exactly.

I make the 80% of my purchases at the annual fossil events held here in Barcelona, so the purchases must be "immediately". That's why I wanted to be prepared in advance for the next one, which will be held in October, hence my questions about recognizing the position of the teeth in the jaw and whether they belong to adults or young people.

As I see that you are an experienced member, could you advise me where to post these types of questions or which specific people on the forum to contact?

Thank you for the help!

If seeking high quality specimens, buying at shows is likely not always the best option. Developing relationships with preparators and diggers is by far the best. Of course, you can always ask questions of vendors, but in their zeal to move specimens, would they tell you honestly the jaw is composed of modern goat bone? The discerning collector must do their research and establish connections rather than trying to ascertain authenticity at the point of sale. It is somewhat like buying a good suit: do you buy it off the rack at a department store at lesser quality of material and cut, or do you go to a tailor? ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Izan I think it could be usefull, if you have some ideas what to look for.

In here you can see some perfect exampled of these teeth. Notice what enamel looks like in these specimens.

https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/81901-theropod-teeth-morphology-kem-kem-basin/

Major key is consistent. Sudden color and texture changes are bad sign. Also grainy/sandy look if those cover large areas. And of course paint.

Look for details and are those consistant.

Best thing would always be to post here for extra opinions.

Hopefully this was atleast bit helpfull.

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

@Kane Yeah, I know that shows aren't the best options, but here in Spain, common people are not interested in paleontology or fossils collections. So, the market here is very, very limited and escasely. These shows are the unique option on you can see in-situ the fossil that you want to buy. If not it has to be through internet sites. 

Do you know some on-line shop or similar located in Europe? I know two or three, but they're located in America, and the shipping costs are very, very high, and I'm not rich :(. Also, I have bought this type of things in America several times and they have never arrived...

I remind you for all intents and purposes that according to the rules of the forum, we do not give any monetary evaluation of fossils, but we do not promote sales sites either ! It was explained in the document that you accepted by signing here.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg