Age Of Shell Layer At Green Mill Run

Rover

I recently went fossil-hunting at Green Mill Run, as some of you may know, and, while I have heard a lot about the fossil-rich shell-bearing layer of sediment there, I've never heard anyone say how old it is, so I was wondering if someone here might know.

I recently went fossil-hunting at Green Mill Run, as some of you may know, and, while I have heard a lot about the fossil-rich shell-bearing layer of sediment there, I've never heard anyone say how old it is, so I was wondering if someone here might know.

I guess they are from plio-pleistocene (James City or Waccamaw formations).

Edited by Fossili Veraci

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

i've never been there but people have posted pics of exogyra oysters from there, so there's an upper cretaceous element there also. like so many waterways, i think you have a mix of older and younger stuff that's been eroded out and scrambled together.

It is the Rushmere Member of the Yorktown formation, Middle Pliocene.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

This stream contains fossils from the Cretaceous into the Pliocene.

regards,

Han

Yep, I have found everything from crow shark teeth, to great whites, to megs, gompothere teeth fragments, and indian artifacts ;)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

The shell bed in GMR that sits on top of the Cretaceous is a lag/reworked deposit that contains complete shells from at least two formations. I have found a decent Yorktown formation Ecphora sitting right beside a James City formation Pterorhytis. It appears that the layer formed as the James City sea "stirred up" the earlier Yorktown formation.

Alright, thanks. That means I'll have to wait until I can post pictures of my finds to know the ages of individual specimens, and as I always have to borrow a camera from someone, it might be a couple of days, but at least I have a general estimate.