Please help identify strange green and other rocks from the Aegean Sea

AnnaNova

• New Members

Hello everyone,

I am very new here, but I have been a very passionate amateur collector of pretty stones and minerals I am able to find around. Earlier this summer, I was diving at a beach in the Aegean Sea and found several interesting rocks that I would be happy to identify.

Starting with the green mystery - I found it buried in the sand under the water. I realize it might be man-made, but it does not feel painted. When I tried to chip it with another regular rock, the other one got painted green  but the green one didn't really chip or show any colors underneath. I know very little about these things, but I am wondering if this could naturally happen somehow. The other peculiar thing about this is that the stone is oddly light in weight. It is 10cm x 5cm.

At the same beach, again underwater, I found some suspicious bones that I will post in the Fossil topic for identification, but I also found some other large rocks that had obvious veins in them. When I cracked them open, they turned out amazing. If you can point me to what these are as well, I will really appreciate it.

20240723_202547.jpg

20240723_202610.jpg

20240723_202716.jpg

20240723_202755.jpg

20240723_203740.jpg

20240723_203815.jpg

20240723_203904.jpg

20240723_203923.jpg

20240723_203943.jpg

20240723_204232.jpg

20240723_204302.jpg

I'm not at all sure what your green stone might be, but the veins in the other rocks are either quartz or calcite. Calcite would fizz under a few drops of a weak acid like vinegar essence, quartz would not.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The green piece looks like malachite, but that would not be "light". Could be melted then beach worn plastic- see if it will burn.(red hot pin.)

The rest look like quartz/agate with crystalized vugs.

• I found this Informative 1

:Cry:

• New Members

Thank you both for the information provided!

For the green one, I tested and it is not plastic, has the exact feel and effect of stone, it is very hard actually, I could barely scratch it.

2 hours ago, AnnaNova said:

For the green one, I tested and it is not plastic, has the exact feel and effect of stone, it is very hard actually, I could barely scratch it.

perhaps some kind of glass or ceramics? Unusual green color and shape, looks more like an industrial remain than a natural stone. But, never seen one like this before

Edited by rocket
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, AnnaNova said:

Thank you both for the information provided!

Can you do a hardness test, mohs scale? A streak test - color? Specific gravity?

:Cry: