Teeth In North Eastern NC

Fix

• New Members

Hi! Found this last month. It was about 10 feet off the bank of the lower Chowan river in North Eastern North Carolina, US.

The area it was found is a bald cypress Grove, where the cypress knees often catch mostly fossilized Northern Star coral from I believe the Pilocene epoch. (I'm no expert). Asides from the coral and the occasional shards of fossilized mollusk. I have yet to find anything else, until now.

I simply reached my hand between the sand in the river while searching for coral, and this pleasant surprise came up.

Any ideas? If needed I can take more pictures.  Thanks in advance. 

20240724_123137.jpg

20240724_122812.jpg

20240724_122803.jpg

20240724_122752.jpg

20240724_122725.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

• New Members

Thanks Sawtooth. I've considered bovine of some sort. However with some comparisons I've found online. I've also considered the possibility of a Hemiauchenia.

But as I mentioned. I'm no expert. 

• New Members

Although this may not be useful. I did toss it on a scientific scale.

"Lick test" proved it to stick like velcro... 

20240724_181050.jpg

14 minutes ago, Fix said:

"Lick test" proved it to stick like velcro...

The "lick test" only indicates that something is porous, so it is a misconception that "sticking" indicates a fossil. Rocks can stick, too.  Teeth shouldn't stick since they are covered in enamel, unless you are referring to the root.  

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

• New Members

I'm referring to the root. 

I can also say as someone who has butchered domestic cattle within the general areas. It doesn't quite match up to any cattle I'm aware of.

And Although not impossible for there to have been a stray, the area to which this was found, including up stream where it may have washed down from. Hasn't Historically been accessible to cattle until contemporary times. Which there are no cattle farming in the immediate proximity to date. 

This of course isn't accounting for potential escaped cattle, thrown over remains. Or small home farms that may have had family cattle. Or considering the proximity to Tuscarora sites in the area. I know from our stories as a Tuscarora, we captured cattle from the English and Spanish early on. 

This area is pretty isolated so I don't exactly have anyone I can immediately carry it to. In the meantime. Any other sorts of test recommendations to help rule things out are welcome. 

• New Members

As I look back. I noticed my picture of the occlusal surface may be too dark. Here is a better one.

The chambers within the surface appear to be filled with a solid, smooth, chocolate colored mineral. 

I'll not that a mile down river from this find are significant bog iron deposits, which similar deposits would undoubtedly be all along the river. 

Am I correct in that mineralization like this can occur in a few decades?

20240724_221620.jpg

• New Members

I'm learning so much here on other post! That's great.

The stylids would seem to indicate it is a bovine. And given its size. I'm now assuming cow. But still willing to read others thoughts