Interesting find from Texas Hill Country

PRS

• New Members

Thoughts on this find? Possibly a fossilized tree root? Found in Texas Hill Country dry stream bed

image.jpg

image.jpg

Size? What county was it found in?

A more precise location helps us figure out the stratigraphy/formations present in the area, allowing us to pinpoint a time period, and possible ID's.  ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

A very surface oxidized piece of banded agate or chert with deferential erosion of some layers.

It could be very nice cut and polished.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

:Cry:

• New Members

Approximately 10cm x 7.5cm. Found in a dry gulley by the Frio River in Leakey Texas. The concentric circular markings are intriguing to me

• Thank You 1

What formation?

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I agree with Tony that this is differential weathering of a banded chert nodule.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• New Members

Thanks for the information- I’ve researched banded chert nodules and it seems to fit. I don’t have the equipment to cut or polish but it’s an interesting specimen in its own right. I appreciate all who replied