Hi All!

I live in Chino Hills, Ca and found these 2 halves at the base off an outcropping, that had tumbled down. The localities in my area are both Puente and Monterey Formation.

I've found lots of cool algae, mollusk, gastropod and fish fossils in this same area...but nothing like this before. Would greatly appreciate some input from the community! 

Thanks for your thoughts! 

IMG_5444.jpeg

IMG_5443.jpeg

IMG_5445.jpeg

IMG_5446.jpeg

Edited by Nadia
Hashtag

• New Members

I'm not a pro. But do have some coral. Not saying not Coral.. but it usually has spouts.

20240725_014322.jpg

20240725_014151.jpg

Thanks Razidell, 
Wow your coral

is gorgeous and def looks nothing like what I found. Your coral looks like it even has druzy crystal aspects to it. Such an awesome find!

• New Members

well thank you. but.. i actually found this in foundation of an old property. I live in iowa along the Mississippi River. Which most of Iowa was under an Ocean at one time so Not many Bones until you reach Des Moines Iowa area.  Alot of the old properties around here are filled with shells and all kinds of sea life thrown into the cement.. I just couldn't let this and other s just be built over and forgotten. this is just a small piece which is about the size of a football. 

1 hour ago, Razidell said:

I'm not a pro. But do have some coral. Not saying not Coral.. but it usually has spouts.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not being negative, but I for the life of me can't see any determining characteristics here which would point to coral. Can you please point them out distinctly so that one can recognize them. All I am seeing is a series of very pretty druzy crystals, as Nadia is saying.

@Nadia Sorry, but I don't recognize a fossil in that which you are showing us, but maybe someone else can?

• I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I agree with @Ludwigia and @Rockwood that neither are coral.  @Razidell, though I state this is not coral, it mimics an altered stromatolite that is frequently found at the base of the hills along the Mississippi River of SE Minnesota. So maybe consider this as a possibility.

• I found this Informative 1

Neither item is coral. The first item isn't bone, either.

Not a fossil, unfortunately.  :(

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Friends...I'll keep exploring ! 👍 🔨 🪨

• Nadia changed the title to Fossilized Bone?
  • New Members
18 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I agree with @Ludwigia and @Rockwood that neither are coral.  @Razidell, though I state this is not coral, it mimics an altered stromatolite that is frequently found at the base of the hills along the Mississippi River of SE Minnesota. So maybe consider this as a possibility.

Like I said.. not a pro... around here ya just take it what u think it. You show to much of your finds off around here Iowa tends to send DNR in after it like a drug raid then claim you robbed a burial site or something. Why I came to this site is so pros like fossildude can guide me the right way. So.. fossildude.. get ready for some more pics brah. Lol thx

4 hours ago, Razidell said:

You show to much of your finds off around here Iowa tends to send DNR in after it like a drug raid then claim you robbed a burial site or something.

@Razidell   I do not understand this statement. It seems to be promoting a concept that I do not believe exists in Iowa. Could you expound on why you feel this way?