Cumnock coal strata in North Carolina

Steve Blankenbeker

• New Members

New to this forum, know very little about fossils, but have a question.  I am doing clay exploration in the Deep River coal formations in North Carolina, and may eventually be mining some fireclay but will not be mining coal, although we may see a bit.  Most of the area we will be mining will be too shallow for the coal to be solid.  Seen lots of weathered coal so far and that is what we expect to see.  Is it possible to find fossils in the various strata that are pretty obvious, or will the fossils be very small and hard to find if you don't know what you are looking for?  Thanks

26 minutes ago, Steve Blankenbeker said:

New to this forum, know very little about fossils, but have a question.  I am doing clay exploration in the Deep River coal formations in North Carolina, and may eventually be mining some fireclay but will not be mining coal, although we may see a bit.  Most of the area we will be mining will be too shallow for the coal to be solid.  Seen lots of weathered coal so far and that is what we expect to see.  Is it possible to find fossils in the various strata that are pretty obvious, or will the fossils be very small and hard to find if you don't know what you are looking for?  Thanks

It kind of depends on the depositional environments present, at the time the sediments were laid down. Coal itself usually is not fossiliferous, as far as I know.
Coal tends to have plant fossils in adjacent layers to the actual coal seams. By extension, there could also be insect, vertebrate, or trace type fossils found in the same sediments.

You have to look carefully, and be cognizant of the fact that there could be fossils. 

Extensive sampling of the adjacent layers would be the best way to suss out any fossil presence.

Keep your eyes peeled, as they say.  :shrug:

Potentially helpful LINK.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Steve Blankenbeker said:

I am doing clay exploration in the Deep River coal formations in North Carolina

Whats in the literature about fossils in this formations?

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

• New Members

From what I can find in literature tetrapods including Rutiodons, Dromatheriums, Microconodon, Synorichthys fish, Cionichthys fish, coelacanth fish, Stegomus.  Same literature says "Fossils are extremely common.  The coals and adjacent black band produce abundant vertebrate fossils."

• Thank You 1

I recall reading that fossil plants were common (in the shale and mudstone) when the coals were being mined,  100 years ago.  Triassic fossils are now very rare in the area, so I will be interested to hear if you encounter any.

Don