Does anyone know how to make a custom metal mount for this Theropod Partial Spine?

pkedinofossils

The drawing is in the back for reference of what I want to achieve and I’ve attached some photos of inspiration.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_5267.jpeg

IMG_5269.webp

IMG_5268.jpeg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Does anyone know how to make a custom metal mount for this Theropod Partial Spine?

@FB003 Did a similar thing with associated verts .

Cheers!

James

This is more about artwork than anything else at this level.  How do YOU want it to look? A trough to sit in? Individual holders for each vert in a line? base mount, stem mount, angle.... whatever you can dream, it would be pretty simple to create. The good thing about the small size is that you dont have to worry about engineering for the weight.

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

3 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

This is more about artwork than anything else at this level.  How do YOU want it to look? A trough to sit in? Individual holders for each vert in a line? base mount, stem mount, angle.... whatever you can dream, it would be pretty simple to create. The good thing about the small size is that you dont have to worry about engineering for the weight.

hi, thanks for the reply, there’s actually a drawing sitting right behind it as for the design. not sure if i need to weld or do i need someone get someone to do it for me. this is a first for me, so i’m not sure how to proceed. i want a base with three cylindrical rods going up attached to another long base for the verts to sit in at an angle but i don’t want them to fall so i would have to attach side rails almost. 

You can do this also with wood.

But I see the main problem: Holding the vertebrae safely by something visually non-obtrusive. A triangular groove length down in a narrow latch could work?

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

And just placing them on the "ground" on black felt or something similar?

Franz Bernhard

8 hours ago, pkedinofossils said:

hi, thanks for the reply, there’s actually a drawing sitting right behind it as for the design. not sure if i need to weld or do i need someone get someone to do it for me. this is a first for me, so i’m not sure how to proceed. i want a base with three cylindrical rods going up attached to another long base for the verts to sit in at an angle but i don’t want them to fall so i would have to attach side rails almost. 

OK, I get what you want.  It would be pretty easy to weld, but if you cant weld.... that would be an issue for sure.  Any welding shop could make it for you, but individual holders would need to be specific to each vert, and I wouldnt be comfortable handing them over to a random guy who isnt well versed in handling fossils.  I didnt see where you are located. That would be the first step in finding someone to help.  Remember that this is a world-wide forum.

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

15 hours ago, trilobites_are_awesome said:

@FB003 Did a similar thing with associated verts .

I had it custom made by the individual that prepped it. She did a good job.

Edited by FB003
  • I found this Informative 2

*Frank*

• 4 weeks later...

I dont have much welding experience but I was able to get a stand welded together.  I got cheap harbor freight welder and got the metal from my local hardware store. You'll need an angle grinder, welding mask, and other stuff but it's doable. The advantage you have is the light weight. My welds had to hold a 30 to 40 lb bone. As stated previously it's like an art form. You can have fun with it. 

20240610_192004.jpg

Edited by Browning
Typo
  • Enjoyed 2

Thanks for an update!  I was wondering what you'd come up with.  I like how it turned out :thumbsu:

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

@Jaybot I'll get a better photo posted soon.  If people are interested I can go into the details of how I completed the project. It took a long time. Working on it when I could after work and weekends. 

Getting back on topic the welding was kinda a pain but I blame a lot of that on my low quality welder. It only had HI and LOW voltage settings with variable wire speed. Very difficult to get the settings right for different thicknesses of metal, if possible at all. Looking back I should have just got a flat piece if steel for the base like in the above photos. But it turned out well. 

• Enjoyed 1