Found this and I’m not sure what it is

Mark1986

• New Members

I found this on the beach and have no idea what it came from, it’s definitely bone but does anyone know the time period or who’s bone it may be, I’ve been told it’s really old but not sure. Please excuse my ignorance on this subject I am an amateur so be easy on me, thanks 

IMG_0125.jpeg

IMG_0128.jpeg

IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0127.jpeg

IMG_0130.jpeg

IMG_0129.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

I would agree with bone. You might want to try the burn test. Apply a flame and if it gives off a nasty smell, that means collagen is present and thus would be modern. This may rule out if it is a fossil. 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members
4 minutes ago, Kane said:

I would agree with bone. You might want to try the burn test. Apply a flame and if it gives off a nasty smell, that means collagen is present and thus would be modern. This may rule out if it is a fossil. 

If it is really old do i really want to burn it tho? It’s not going to damage it? also I found these on the same beach

IMG_0133.jpeg

IMG_0132.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

I don't think you'll damage it. Just a small flame on an inconspicuous part should suffice. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The first photo is a turtle pleural from a very large turtle.  >28 inches  in width.   It may be modern.   It doesn't take long for bones to be buried before becoming discolored and resemble a fossil .  The burn test will help determine its age.  If you use a match or candle, It won't hurt it if it is fossilized.  

• I found this Informative 2

I think it would be simpler to just tap it with a spoon. If it sounds like you tapped a rock, it's definitely a fossil. 

A fossil will not burn in if directly in a a gas burner. If it burns sorchedsmells bad there was significant protein present