ID tooth I'd like to know from Morocco

LauraMedea

Hi everybody! I'm here to ask you for help in identifying this tooth. Assuming this is a real tooth, the tip has a strange color/transparency:zzzzscratchchin:, which dinosaur could it belong to? It's not in my hands, I only have these photos which I hope will be enough. The post says it comes from Morocco, late Cretaceous and that it is the tooth of a raptor, but the site is not very reliable in terms of identification, the tooth measures 2.3 cm height and weight 1g. I would like to know what you think about. Thank you!

Screenshot_20240727_073618_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240727_073610_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240727_073551_Chrome.jpg

It is Abelisaurid indet tooth.

Tip is broken off, so you can see shinish fracture.

Edited by North
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Definetly Abelisaurid indet.

Most of these rare "raptor teeth" or "Deltadromeus teeth" you see from morocco on the market, are really just very common Abelisaurid teeth, just a different name and price, so they sell better. Or they're often missidentified. One of these options.

There is another tooth morph type in the Kemkem beds, belonging to an undescribed morrocan Noasaurid, but these teeth are not so common to stumble upon the market. These also can be found under the name "raptor", altough there are no official  discoveries, papers, and species published.

That means, no raptors from Kemkem so far.

My account and something about me :

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

Im just a guy who really loves fossils

2 hours ago, North said:

It is Abelisaurid indet tooth.

Tip is broken off, so you can see shinish fracture.

Thank you very much for your response :)

6 minutes ago, Brevicollis said:

Definetly Abelisaurid indet.

Most of these rare "raptor teeth" or "Deltadromeus teeth" you see from morocco on the market, are really just very common Abelisaurid teeth, just a different name and price, so they sell better. Or they're often missidentified. One of these options.

There is another tooth morph type in the Kemkem beds, belonging to an undescribed morrocan Noasaurid, but these teeth are not so common to stumble upon the market. These also can be found under the name "raptor", altough there are no official  discoveries, papers, and species published.

That means, no raptors from Kemkem so far.

Thanks so much for the information. I imagined it wasn't a raptor and they are trying to sell it as a famous dinosaur tooth to raise the price, thanks for confirming this. Even though the tip is missing, it seems to me from the photo that the tooth is in good condition with the serrations and enamel well preserved. If the price remains low, given the ease with which they are found, could it be a good purchase?As a beginner, I don't expect to have exaggeratedly important pieces in my collection, but I try to find some fossils that are at least as well preserved as possible.

16 minutes ago, LauraMedea said:

Thanks so much for the information. I imagined it wasn't a raptor and they are trying to sell it as a famous dinosaur tooth to raise the price, thanks for confirming this. Even though the tip is missing, it seems to me from the photo that the tooth is in good condition with the serrations and enamel well preserved. If the price remains low, given the ease with which they are found, could it be a good purchase?As a beginner, I don't expect to have exaggeratedly important pieces in my collection, but I try to find some fossils that are at least as well preserved as possible.

If price is ok, it is an good purchase. Besides the tip everyrhing seems okay.

Abelisaurid teeth are top 2 easiest dinosaur teeth to purchase so opportunities will come.

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Hi,

although I do not want to discuss prices, I wonder if the price for something labeled "raptor" really is ok for this abelisaurid.

Just got myself a small one of those, picked it from a lot of about twenty. So I think you will be able to find an undamaged one with some patience. Also I can not tell the size from the pics.

Best regards,

J

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

47 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi,

although I do not want to discuss prices, I wonder if the price for something labeled "raptor" really is ok for this abelisaurid.

Just got myself a small one of those, picked it from a lot of about twenty. So I think you will be able to find an undamaged one with some patience. Also I can not tell the size from the pics.

Best regards,

J

Hi, as it is an auction without reserve, I hope that no one falls into the trap of the false nomenclature and that the tooth remains at a very low price:Wink1:. In any case, I'm not in a hurry to make purchases, I know well that collecting requires patience, but being a beginner, perhaps what seems to me to be in good condition actually isn't, also based on the ease or not of finding some fossils in good conditions, so I prefer to ask you who know much more than me. The tooth is 2.3 cm high:)