Glue globs on a gorgeous Rex, how do I remove them?

jikohr

Hi everyone!

Just got my hands on a big beefy Rex that has a couple glue blobs on it and I was wondering if anyone knew a good trick to smooth them out. They're kinda hard to take pictures of but are pretty noticeable translucent lumps when seen in person and I feel a tooth like this is worth taking a little time to zhuzh up.

I've tried rubbing the lumps with acetone on a cloth and it's taking forever, so I figure I'd ask if anyone had any tricks to get it done sooner. If not then not but hey, can't hurt to ask right?

IMG_1220.thumb.JPG.823fa39fe492c6bb90db959d5d13de25.JPGIMG_1219.thumb.JPG.6a287c5574c37bdb4f3022b1be8913b0.JPGIMG_1222.thumb.JPG.49c20b3ad2545be91f3e42fbe7561f14.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

I would use a qutip dipped in acetone not a cloth. that tooth looks like the tip is glued together and you wouldn't want to weaken it. Slow is the right way to do it.

• I found this Informative 1

42 minutes ago, Alex S. said:

I would use a qutip dipped in acetone not a cloth. that tooth looks like the tip is glued together and you wouldn't want to weaken it. Slow is the right way to do it.

If slow is the right way than so be it.

I am curious though, what's the difference between a qutip and cloth? 

Also would putting a drop of acetone on the globs with a pipette be a good idea by any chance?

Q-tip gives you better control and smaller area of effect. You dont want the acetone getting to any glue that may be holding the tooth together. Same with not using a pipette you don’t want to let the acetone pool or set on it. You want to just remove small layers of glue at a time. Haste makes waste is the word here

7 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Q-tip gives you better control and smaller area of effect. You dont want the acetone getting to any glue that may be holding the tooth together. Same with not using a pipette you don’t want to let the acetone pool or set on it. You want to just remove small layers of glue at a time. Haste makes waste is the word here

Ah I see.

Just to clarify, after I put acetone on the Q-tip and rub it on the glob, do I wait for it to dry and then repeat? Or do I repeat immediately? Or do I immediately wipe off the acetone with another Q-tip after applying and then repeat?

I can't see blobs of glue in your pictures; but I think I understand what you are speaking of. If it were mine. I would slice the raised blob off with an Xacto blade and then "heal" the rough surface with a precision application of acetone to blend the attacked spot with the rest of the coated surface. The effort is to melt the remaining acetone, to smooth, but not remove it. Good luck, have fun. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

What a great tooth !

Saw this one too, but my budget only allowed me to buy the other, smaller, tooth that was offered by the same source :rolleyes:

Sorry, I cant help further, but I see what you mean.

My account and something about me :   

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

I'm just a young guy who really loves fossils  YOUTH MEMBER2.jpg

I'm with @snolly50 with a slight modification. Apply a drop of acetone to soften the glue slightly and the cut it down with an X-acto knife. Repeat this as needed and you'll remove thin layers of glue without the chance of peeling any enamel off the tooth by popping the glue off.

Be very light and careful with the x-acto knife step.  It's easy (at least for me) to get over-eager and push too hard, which makes the blade lose control and destroy the fossil in its path.

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Posted (edited)

There seem to be quite a few solid suggestions. The X-acto is tempting, but I might pass for a slower approach unless it just takes forever. 

I think I'm going to try acetone a couple of the different ways on some glue globs I made on a throwaway piece for practice, then try on the Rex once I feel more comfortable.

If anyone has anymore advice/ideas I'm still glad to hear it though!

Edited by jikohr
  • Enjoyed 1