I'm starting to get into preparation any tips?

zaneharrin

Make sure it’s a dremel engraver not the rotary kind! And good breathing masks or a respirator is a must. Eye protection too! You can do lots with a common dremel if you’re careful.heres my starting setup….

IMG_0092.jpeg

IMG_6032.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Any tips? Run away before it sucks you in!!! :default_rofl:

Seriously though, welcome to the best part of fossils... Preparation. This is where the real science begins. Every fossil needs some kind of attention and can't really be studied without some aspect of preparation. The best advice I can give you is to do as much research as possible on tools and techniques before you plunge in head first. You can throw a ton of money at this buying tools that are wrong for the job. Buy the very best tools you can afford; cheap tools are cheap for a reason. Don't scrimp on your PPE. Fossil preparation can wreck your body in many ways. You need to protect your eyes, lungs, ears, hands (vibrating tools are BAD for your nervous system), back, and neck. 

Prepping is hyper-focused work. Take a lot of breaks and make sure you have as good of an ergonomic setup as you can. It won't be perfect but you can mitigate a lot of pain simply by setting up properly.

• I Agree 2

Starting while being broke is not a good way to start but ya gots to start somewhere.  I myself was broke too when I started.  I started with a steak knife.  Ha!   Once you get to the point where you can spend some moneys, there is no stopping.  Lots and lots of tools and equipment one can buy.  I wish you the very best.  Good luck

RB

A rotary dremel is a bad tool for prep.  If you are broke, start prepping the old fashioned way.  Get some pin-vices and a set of leather needles in varying sizes.  A good magnifying head visor and good light.

• I found this Informative 1

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/