Orthocone Geode and Partial Trilobite??

Silly_Goose

• New Members

Hello!

I am an amateur who needs some help identifying these fossils.

Both of these were found on the coast of Lake Huron, near Kincardine, Ontario, Canada. 

Picture 1: I am pretty sure this is an orthocone that is also a geode on some segments?

There are some other fossils that look embedded on the right half, any idea what those might be? 

Orthocone Geode?

Picture 2: I am not really sure, my first thought says possible partial trilobite as I can see maybe 3 different segments? Also, is there another smaller fossil imprint?

Thank you in advance for you help! 

- Goose

PXL_20240719_162639847_MP.thumb.jpg.db96441568c0810f012341a62d2ddebb.jpg

PXL_20240719_162639848.MP.jpg

Anchiopsis anchiops is the larger one, Eldredgeops rana the smaller.IMG_3725.jpeg.0c3eec22daccd77a68a5072439265980.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Eldredgeops is not present in the Bois Blanc Fm.  The phacopid is: Burtonops? cristatus

The status of Burtonops is awaiting an upcoming revision and may become reclassified as: Viaphacops

"We make note of taxa from the Lower to Middle Devonian of ENA (see above for remarks on the Givetian taxa), and particularly of species assigned to Paciphacops Maksimova, 1972, Viaphacops Maksimova, 1972 and Burtonops. Struve (1990) erected the latter genus for phacopids from ENA with a rather brief diagnosis pertaining only to the divergent genal spines. McKellar & Chatterton (2009) deemed Burtonops a problematic taxon. According to those workers, the type species of Burtonops, Phacops cristatus Hall, 1861, had been synonymised with Phacops pipa Hall & Clarke, 1888 (type species of Viaphacops) by Eldredge (1973). Actually, Eldredge (1973) only stated that he could not distinguish Phacops bombifrons Hall, 1861 from P. pipa and that the former should have precedence. McKellar & Chatterton (2009) confused things further by attempting to suppress Burtonops, while considering it to be a junior objective synonym of Viaphacops. Based on their cladistic analysis, they argued that the validity of Viaphacops is called into question and that it should be treated as a subgenus of Paciphacops. However, based on their interpretation of the proposed synonymy by Eldredge (1973), McKellar & Chatterton (2009) used Phacops cristatus (the type species of Burtonops) to code Viaphacops for analysis. The type species of Viaphacops, V. pipa, is in need of revision. Stumm (1954: pl. 4, figs 1-6, 9, 11, 1964: pl. 3, figs 1-15) and Eldredge (1973: fig. 32A-E) figured specimens from various stratigraphic units and locations which are too dissimilar from one another to possibly belong to a single species. The synonymy of V. pipa and P. bombifrons that was claimed by Eldredge (1973) has not been adopted by other workers (e.g., Jell & Adrain 2003) whereas bombifrons has been treated as a distinct species of Viaphacops (e.g., Whiteley et al. 2002, Hansen 2009). Nevertheless, V. pipa, V.? bombifrons and B. cristatus have not been revisited recently and they were also not included in the cladistic analyses of Ramsköld & Werdelin (1991) or Ebach (2002). Although we agree with McKellar & Chatterton (2009) that Burtonops as a taxon of independent generic rank was poorly outlined by Struve (1990), its fate must await revision of its type species and the Paciphacops-Viaphacops group."

Van Viersen, A.P., Koppka, J. 2021
Type and other Species of Phacopidae (Trilobita) from the Devonian of the Ardenno-Rhenish Mountains.
Mainzer Geowissenschaftliche Mitteilungen, 49:25-66  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• New Members
3 hours ago, Isotelus2883 said:

Anchiopsis anchiops is the larger one, Eldredgeops rana the smaller.

Thanks for the help! If you don't mind me asking, how would you know the names by looking at these fairly rough fossils? Is that just what was around the area at that time? Is there anything I can read up on to learn more what was in the area? 

I appreciate it!

50 minutes ago, Silly_Goose said:

Thanks for the help! If you don't mind me asking, how would you know the names by looking at these fairly rough fossils? Is that just what was around the area at that time? Is there anything I can read up on to learn more what was in the area? I appreciate it!

Anchiopsis anchiops is an easily recognized genus from the Bois Blanc Formation of Ontario. 

For the small pygidium, among the recorded Bois Blanc fauna, Burtonops? cristatus is the correct ID.

This is the classic reference for Ontario trilobites: happy0144.gif

Ludvigsen, R. 1979

Fossils of Ontario: Part 1 - The Trilobites.

ROM Life Sciences Miscellaneous Publications, 96 pp.  PDF LINK

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• New Members

Thank you!